Heat transfer through radiator reflector foils with data

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of reflector foils to improve heating bills. The speaker used a thermal imaging camera to test the effectiveness of the foils and found that they lowered the surface temperature of the kettle by 32C, a 40% decrease compared to the kettle wall. They are now trying to determine the Rvalue (m^2K/W) of the foils and the speaker suggests using blackbody radiation to calculate it. They also mention that the results of the foil are comparable to a perfect black body with perfect heat conduction inside.
smjpl
Hi all,

We got these rad reflector foils to improve your heating bills in our shop today. Trying to figure out if there any good.

As a really quick test to see if they do anything, i stuck one to the kettle and measured the temp difference with a thermal imaging camera. (pics attached)

They seem to do something as they lowered surface temp by around 32C which was a 40% decreased compared to the kettle wall.

Anyone know how I can come up with an Rvalue (m^2K/W) from this or any relevant way to show that they have some insulating properties. My problem is that the foil has virtually no thickness so I can't do a one dimensional analysis and I don't know of any zero dimensional analysis. I do know that it can have an r value though because air is given an rvalue and there is no dependence on the thickness for it.

Any help is much appreciated.

I will do it over a range temps if there isn't too much work in it as generally your walls aren't at 80C.

Attachments

• Foil Temp Mid Pic 3.jpg
    Foil Temp Mid Pic 3.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 429
  • Kettle Temp Mid Pic 3.jpg
    Kettle Temp Mid Pic 3.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 449
Science news on Phys.org
That foil gives results not far away from a perfect black body with perfect heat conduction inside. Thermal radiation is proportional to T^4, and if you calculate the average T^4 between heat source and cold environment you end up with a value close to the temperature of your foil. It is a bit better, indicating reflection of parts of the radiation.
The isolation quality will depend on the absolute temperature itself, but if you know the environment of the foil, you could use this blackbody radiation to get a value of m^2K/W.

1. How does heat transfer through radiator reflector foils work?

Heat transfer through radiator reflector foils works by reflecting heat back into the room. The foil acts as a barrier between the radiator and the wall, preventing heat from being absorbed by the wall and instead directing it into the room.

2. What type of data is typically used to measure heat transfer through radiator reflector foils?

Data used to measure heat transfer through radiator reflector foils includes temperature readings at different points in the room, as well as energy consumption data from the radiator itself. Thermal imaging and heat flow sensors can also be used to gather data.

3. How effective are radiator reflector foils at reducing heat loss?

Radiator reflector foils can be very effective at reducing heat loss. Studies have shown that they can reduce heat loss through walls by up to 50%. However, the effectiveness may vary depending on the type of foil used and the insulation of the wall.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using radiator reflector foils?

One potential drawback of using radiator reflector foils is that they can trap moisture between the foil and the wall, leading to dampness and potential mold growth. It is important to ensure proper ventilation and to choose a foil that allows for moisture to escape.

5. Can radiator reflector foils be used with all types of radiators?

Most radiator reflector foils can be used with all types of radiators, including traditional radiators and newer energy-efficient models. However, it is important to check with the manufacturer to ensure compatibility and proper installation techniques.