How Do You Calculate a Z Score for Toothpaste Effectiveness Testing?

• MHB
  • Thread starter altitus
  • Start date
In summary, a company conducted a test on a random sample of 60 people using a new brand of toothpaste for 6 months. The sample population had a mean of 1.5 cavities at their check-up, while the general population (those who did not use the new toothpaste) had a mean of 1.73 cavities. With a standard deviation of 1.12, a z-test is the appropriate method to determine the effectiveness of the new toothpaste. Further assistance can be found by referring to the Z-test Wikipedia article.
altitus
The problem is: A company wants to test the effectiveness of a new brand of toothpaste. They claim that this new brand of toothpaste will reduce the number of cavities that consumers will have as compared to the general population. The company tests a random sample population of 60 people for 6 months. At their next check-up, the sample population have a mean of 1.5 cavities. The general population (those who did not use the new brand of toothpaste), have a mean of 1.73 cavities at their 6 month check-up. The standard deviation for this problem is 1.12.

The question is: decide whether to use a z test or a t test, then find the z score or the t score.

I believe that this problem requires the use of a z test, but I cannot confirm this for sure, and cannot figure out what either the z obtained or t obtained would be.

I'd really appreciate some help. Thank you so very much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi altitus,

Your intuition is correct, nicely done. Since we have a "large" sample size ($n >50 $) and the population standard deviation is known, we use the $z$-test. See the Z-test Wikipedia article - specifically, point 6 in the "Use in Location Testing" section. If you then scroll to the "Example" section, you will see a worked example very similar in spirit to the question you posted. See if you can follow their calculation and then apply it to your problem. If you're still stuck after that, feel free to post follow-up questions and I'd be happy to help more.

Related to How Do You Calculate a Z Score for Toothpaste Effectiveness Testing?

What is a z score?

A z score, also known as a standard score, is a statistical measurement that indicates how many standard deviations a data point is above or below the mean of a data set.

Why is calculating a z score important?

Calculating a z score allows for the comparison of data points from different data sets. It also helps to identify outliers and understand the distribution of the data.

How do I calculate a z score?

To calculate a z score, subtract the mean of the data set from the data point, then divide by the standard deviation of the data set. The formula is (x - mean) / standard deviation.

What is the range of z scores?

The range of z scores is from -3 to 3. A z score of -3 indicates that the data point is 3 standard deviations below the mean, while a z score of 3 indicates that the data point is 3 standard deviations above the mean.

Can a z score be negative?

Yes, a z score can be negative. A negative z score indicates that the data point is below the mean of the data set, while a positive z score indicates that the data point is above the mean.