Help Calculating Real Estate Tax

• Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date
In summary: I hope this helps.In summary, the conversation discusses a question about rounding up when calculating taxes on a selling price. The correct solution is to round up to the nearest value, as the state wants to tax every dollar or fraction thereof. This is not unique to real estate and the wording of the question is clear. The confusion may arise from the use of the word "fraction", but it should be read as "any part thereof".
YoshiMoshi
Homework Statement
In one state, the transfer tax is $0.80 per $500 or fraction thereof. There is no tax charged on the first $500 of the price. What tax must the seller pay if the property sells for $329,650?
A. $525.60
B. $526.40
C. $527.20
D. $528.00
Relevant Equations
Basic Percentage
Apparently the correct answer is C $527.20.
I'm having a hard time understanding this. My solution is as follows:
(329650/500 - 1)(0.80) = $526.64
Which is not one of the answers.
Apparently the correct solution is:
ceiling(329650/500 - 1)(0.80) = $527.20
Which is Answer C.
My question is why do you round up to the nearest value? I understand "or fraction of" to be that the state wants to tax you on every dollar, even a "fraction of" $500.
329650/500 - 1 = 658.3
So you owe 658*.8 + .3*.8 = $526.64
I disagree completely with rounding it up to 659. I'll provide a similar worded question to explain.
The state wants to tax you 6.25 % sales tax for every dollar you spend (or fraction thereof). You buy something that costs $1.50. What is the final sales price?
1.50 + (1.50/1)(0.0625) = 1.59375
and NOT
1.50 + ceiling(1.5/1)(0.0625) = 1.625
Can someone please explain to me why in the original multiple choice question I'm supposed to round up? I get that the state wants to tax every penny, but why should I get taxed on more than I'm spending? I did not spend 323,000 on a house but 329,650. So why would I get taxed as if I spent 323,000? Maybe this is something unique to real estate? I'm really confused. Maybe the book is wrong. The book did not provide an explanation as to why to round up.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't specify a percentage like you do in your example, but an amount of $0.80 per $500 or fraction thereof
The wording is crystal clear. On a selling price of $ 500.01 you pay $0.80.

YoshiMoshi said:
Maybe this is something unique to real estate? I'm really confused. Maybe the book is wrong
No on first and last.

Likes pbuk
YoshiMoshi said:
Can someone please explain to me why in the original multiple choice question I'm supposed to round up?
Because that is the way the word "fraction" is being used here. If you find this confusing it might help if you read it as "the transfer tax is $0.80 per $500 or any part thereof".

Last edited:
BvU said:
The wording is crystal clear. On a selling price of $ 500.01 you pay $0.80.
@YoshiMoshi, in case what I quoted isn't crystal clear, the above price is $500 + $.01. For the $500, the tax is 0, but for the 1 cent, that tiny fraction of $500 incurs a tax of $.80.

1. How is real estate tax calculated?

Real estate tax is calculated by multiplying the assessed value of the property by the tax rate set by the local government. The assessed value is typically based on the market value of the property and can be found on the property's tax assessment statement.

2. What factors affect the calculation of real estate tax?

The main factors that affect the calculation of real estate tax include the assessed value of the property, the tax rate set by the local government, and any exemptions or deductions that may apply. Other factors such as the location, size, and type of property may also impact the tax calculation.

3. How can I find out the tax rate for my property?

The tax rate for your property can typically be found on the website of your local government or by contacting your local tax assessor's office. The tax rate may vary depending on the location and type of property.

4. Are there any deductions or exemptions available for real estate tax?

Yes, there are various deductions and exemptions that may be available for real estate tax. These can include homestead exemptions for primary residences, senior citizen exemptions, and exemptions for disabled individuals. It is important to check with your local tax assessor's office to see if you qualify for any exemptions.

5. Can I appeal the calculation of my real estate tax?

Yes, it is possible to appeal the calculation of your real estate tax if you believe there is an error in the assessed value of your property or if you believe the tax rate was applied incorrectly. You will need to follow the appeal process set by your local government and provide evidence to support your claim.