Help - Derivation of Pulsating Star Euler ODE

In summary, the conversation was about rewriting the Pulsating Star model equation into another form, which can be done by using the product rule for derivatives and multiplying the resulting expression by r2.
Kajan thana
TL;DR Summary
Hi guys, this is not a homework question, I am trying to rewrite the Pulsating Star model equation to another form.
Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 17.57.54.png

to
Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 17.58.22.png

I am a bit clueless on how to get break the ##r X(r)## from inside the derivative.P.S. I tried to copy from Symbolab instead of pasting the picture, but it didn't let me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Kajan thana said:
Summary:: Hi guys, this is not a homework question, I am trying to rewrite the Pulsating Star model equation to another form.

##\frac{1}{r}\frac{d^2}{dr^2}\left[rX\left(r\right)\right]-\frac{l\left(l+1\right)}{r^2}X\left(r\right)=0##

to

##rX^{''}+2rX^{'}-l\left(l+1\right)X=0##

I am a bit clueless on how to get break the ##r X(r)## from inside the derivative.

I added double # to each of your expressions both front and back to get them to render correctly with MathJax. Please take some time to read our Latex reference guide via the link in my signature below.

ADDENDUM: I forgot to mention the single quote in the second term of the last equation needed to be written as 2rX^{'} and not 2rX^'

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Kajan thana
jedishrfu said:
I added double # to each of your expressions both front and back to get them to render correctly with MathJax. Please take some time to read our Latex reference guide via the link in my signature below.
Thank you for that

Likes jedishrfu
Just apply the product rule for derivatives (you'll need it twice) and at the end multiply the whole expression by r2.

• Informative
Likes Kajan thana and jedishrfu

1. What is a pulsating star?

A pulsating star is a type of variable star that undergoes periodic changes in brightness due to changes in its internal structure and physical properties.

2. How is the Euler ODE used in the study of pulsating stars?

The Euler ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a pulsating star's internal structure and its pulsation period. It is used to model and predict the behavior of pulsating stars.

3. What are the key components of the Euler ODE for pulsating stars?

The key components of the Euler ODE for pulsating stars include the star's mass, radius, luminosity, and temperature. These variables are used to calculate the pulsation period and understand the physical processes happening within the star.

4. How is the Euler ODE derived for pulsating stars?

The Euler ODE for pulsating stars is derived using principles of stellar structure and hydrodynamics. It involves equations for mass conservation, energy conservation, and momentum conservation, which are combined to describe the pulsation behavior of the star.

5. What are the applications of the Euler ODE in the field of astronomy?

The Euler ODE has many applications in the field of astronomy, including studying the evolution and behavior of pulsating stars, understanding the properties of other types of variable stars, and predicting the behavior of stars in different stages of their life cycle. It can also be used to study the formation and dynamics of star clusters and galaxies.