Help finding speed in degrees of latitude/longitude per hour?

In summary, the conversation discussed the measurements of latitude and longitude on the Earth, specifically regarding great circles, parallels, and meridians. The group was trying to find the Earth's radius at specific latitudes in order to solve problems involving speed in degrees per hour along meridians and parallels. They were able to use right angle trigonometry to calculate the Earth's radius at those latitudes and successfully solve their problems.
Jer!cho
Here is the 3 part question:

Latitude and Longitude Discuss and explain the latitude and longitude
measurements on the Earth. Explain what is meant by a great circle, a
parallel and a meridian. Assume the Earth is a sphere with the equator
circumference of 40, 075 km.

(a) An airplane (low altitude flight) is flying 307 km/h along a meridian
of the Earth. Find the speed of the plane in degrees of latitude per
hour. Do you need the Earth’s radius? If so please find it.

(b) An airplane (low altitude flight) is flying 307 km/h along a parallel
going through Edmonton AP 53  34 0 N. Find the speed of the plane
in degrees of longitude per hour.

(c) An airplane (low altitude flight) is flying 307 km/h along a parallel
going through Yellowknife AP 62  28 0 N. Find the speed of the
plane in degrees of longitude per hour.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What work have you done so far? We don't just give you the answers here.

hi jericho,

you should ask questions related to calc homework/coursework here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156"

they ask for your attempt at the answer as Char. limit said so they can better guide you and give you help where needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to try to trick us into thinking this is not homework, don't phrase it like homework!:tongue2:

My pals and I are stuck trying to figure out the radius of Earth at those 53 degrees and 62 degrees latitude. once we figure out how to do that, everything else will be very simple. does anyone know how to calculate the Earth's radius depending on the degree of latitude?

It says to assume the Earth is a sphere. On a sphere, the radius anywhere is the radius everywhere.

Jer!cho said:
My pals and I are stuck trying to figure out the radius of Earth at those 53 degrees and 62 degrees latitude. once we figure out how to do that, everything else will be very simple. does anyone know how to calculate the Earth's radius depending on the degree of latitude?
I think you mean you need to find the radius of the circle of latitude at (for example) 53 degrees. If you assume the Earth is a sphere of known radius, all it takes is a little right-triangle trigonometry. Take a cross-section through the poles and the center of the Earth and draw a diagram. (I would draw it for you, but I'm lousy at ascii diagrams.)

awesome, thanks for your help guys, we actually did end up figuring it out... my group members and I... and using the right angle trigonometry does indeed work, so thanks for the clarification! many thanks

1. How do you calculate speed in degrees of latitude/longitude per hour?

The speed in degrees of latitude/longitude per hour can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The distance can be measured using a map or GPS, while the time can be measured using a clock or stopwatch.

2. Can you explain the difference between latitude and longitude?

Latitude and longitude are both measurements used to determine a location on Earth's surface. Latitude measures the distance north or south of the equator, while longitude measures the distance east or west of the prime meridian. Together, they create a grid system that helps to pinpoint a specific location.

3. How does the Earth's rotation affect speed in degrees of latitude/longitude per hour?

The Earth's rotation does not directly affect the speed in degrees of latitude/longitude per hour. However, it does affect the time zones and the length of a day, which can indirectly impact the speed calculation.

4. Is there a maximum speed in degrees of latitude/longitude per hour that can be traveled?

No, there is no maximum speed in degrees of latitude/longitude per hour. However, the speed will vary depending on the mode of transportation and other external factors such as weather and terrain.

5. Can you provide an example of how to calculate speed in degrees of latitude/longitude per hour?

Sure, for example, if a person travels 60 miles in 1 hour, the speed in degrees of latitude/longitude per hour would be 60 miles (distance) divided by 1 hour (time), which equals 60 miles per hour.