Help for proving a mapping is a diffeomorphism

In summary: Mapping:r*cos(u)+r*sin(u),y*cos(v)+y*sin(v)In summary, the map divides the coordinates of a point by the square of its distance from the origin. The inverse of this map is to multiply the coordinates by the square of the distance.
whattttt
Hi, does anyone have any idea how to prove the mapping

R^2->R^2
(x/(x^2+y^2), y/(x^2+y^2)

is a diffeomorphism, and if it is not restrict the values so it is one

I am fairly sure it is not over R^2 as it is not continuous at 0, but I don't know what values to restrict it over. I have tried to find the inverse but to no avail, thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the exact same question that you asked in your other thread (and then edited out)? If it's exactly the same, then the hint I gave you there is no good. One thread would still be enough, so I have asked the moderators to merge the two.

It's not even defined at the origin, so immediately you know it's not a diffeomorphism on R^2. Away from the origin it's smooth by inspection, so it would be enough to find a smooth inverse. You won't have to look very far to find one <wink>.

Ok, I didn't think it was defined at the origin. On order to find the inverse do I just set for example u=(x/x^2+y^2) and v=(y/x^2+y^2) and then try and get x and y in terms of u and v. Thanks

It will be more helpful to think geometrically about what this map is doing: it's dividing the coordinates of a point by the square of its distance from the origin. In polar coordinates, it would map (r, theta) to (1/r, theta). What would the inverse of that be?

I see how it is mapping all the points into a circle centred around the origin bit I'm not sure how the polar co-ords fit in. Do I just make x=rcos(theta) and y =rsin(theta). If as you said what the mapping is doing is dividing by the square of it's distance does that mean the inverse is multiplying by the square of it's distance. Sorry for all the questions

The function is its own inverse on the plane minus the origin.

So in order to prove that it is diffeomorphic all I have to do is show that (x/x^2+y^2,y/x^2*y^2) is continuous, differentiable and state that minus the origin it is it's own inverse?

mapping

how about going polar in this sense (x,y)=( r cos(u),r sin(u) )|-> ( r' cos (u') /r'^2 , rsin(u')/ r'^2 ) and solving for r',u' ? This gives you two equations write them both down.

1. What is a diffeomorphism?

A diffeomorphism is a type of mathematical function that maps one smooth manifold onto another, while preserving the smoothness and invertibility of the function. Essentially, it is a bijective function that is differentiable in both directions.

2. How do I prove that a mapping is a diffeomorphism?

To prove a mapping is a diffeomorphism, you must show that it is a bijective function, meaning that every element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range, and vice versa. Additionally, you must demonstrate that the function is differentiable in both directions, meaning that it has a continuous derivative and its inverse also has a continuous derivative.

3. What are the benefits of proving a mapping is a diffeomorphism?

Proving a mapping is a diffeomorphism can have various benefits, depending on the specific context. In general, it allows for easier calculations and transformations within the given manifold, as well as providing a deeper understanding of the underlying structure and properties of the manifold.

4. What are some common techniques for proving a mapping is a diffeomorphism?

There are several techniques that can be used to prove a mapping is a diffeomorphism, including showing that the Jacobian determinant is non-zero, using the inverse function theorem, and utilizing the chain rule to show differentiability. It is also common to use specific properties of the given manifold to assist in the proof.

5. Are all bijective functions diffeomorphisms?

No, not all bijective functions are diffeomorphisms. In order for a function to be a diffeomorphism, it must not only be bijective, but also differentiable in both directions. A bijective function that is not differentiable, or has a non-continuous derivative, would not be considered a diffeomorphism.