Help in locating this oustanding beginners book on algebraic structures?

In summary, the person is looking for a book they read in the early 1990s about algebraic structures, but can't remember the title or author. They only remember that it was a brown hardcover book with over 500 pages, published in the 1980s, and had a title with the words groups, rings, and possibly monoids or modules. It also included a section at the end of each chapter on the history of the subject matter, which was unique compared to other books on the topic. The person is asking for help in locating the book, but may not have enough information for others to easily find it.
jason12345
I'm posting this question here because I recall a certain book as being an outstanding introducton to algebraic structures and therefore worth knowing about in 2012. The problem is that I borrowed it from a library in the early 1990s and I can't remember it's name!

Here's what I remember:

- It was a plain brown hard-back, over 500 pages, measuring around 16cm x 24cm
- Had a title with the words groups, rings and maybe monoids or modules; I'm not too sure.
- Published before 1990, probably in the 1980s
- At the end of each chapter it devoted a few pages on the history of the development of the subject matter contained in that chapter which I've never seen in any other book before or since on algebraic structures.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
please delete this question.

mathwonk said:
please delete this question.

Ok, how do I do that?

It's an amazing book, all the same.

If you do not know either the title or the author of a book and only the decade more or less it was published in and the color of the cover, and that the words modules rings or some such occurred in it, there is little chance anyone can help you locate it. Please do some more homework yourself. E.g. go om amazon and type in some of your key words and search through the hundreds of titles you will fin there, or go back to the library where you checked it out and look on the shelves.

jason12345 said:
Here's what I remember:

- It was a plain brown hard-back, over 500 pages, measuring around 16cm x 24cm
- Had a title with the words groups, rings and maybe monoids or modules; I'm not too sure.
- Published before 1990, probably in the 1980s
- At the end of each chapter it devoted a few pages on the history of the development of the subject matter contained in that chapter which I've never seen in any other book before or since on algebraic structures.

The brown cover may not help. I am afraid that many Libraries re-bind their books, particularly older ones that may have seen a lot of use.

I wouldn't be so harsh as to recommend deleting your question, but if you remember any more information, it might give some help in finding it.

You are sure it was an introductory book? Something with monoids or modules in the title sounds more advanced to me.

Likes Tinx

Related to Help in locating this oustanding beginners book on algebraic structures?

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about algebraic structures?

The best book for beginners to learn about algebraic structures is "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" by John B. Fraleigh. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the topic and includes numerous examples and exercises to help solidify understanding.

2. Does the book cover all types of algebraic structures?

Yes, "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" covers a wide range of algebraic structures including groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces. It also includes discussions on substructures, isomorphisms, and homomorphisms.

3. Is the book suitable for self-study?

Yes, "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" is suitable for self-study as it is written in a clear and accessible manner. The book also includes numerous exercises with solutions at the end to help readers practice and check their understanding.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

Basic knowledge of algebra and mathematical proofs is recommended for reading "A First Course in Abstract Algebra." Some familiarity with sets and functions is also helpful.

5. Does the book include real-world applications of algebraic structures?

Yes, "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" includes real-world applications of algebraic structures, such as coding theory, cryptography, and crystallography. This helps readers see the practical significance of the concepts they are learning.