Help in trying to build microcontroller powered Chess Board

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on building an arduino powered chess board using magnets and reed switches. They have encountered issues with the strength of neodymium magnets affecting adjacent squares' reed switches and are looking for suggestions on alternative magnets or possibly using RFID tags instead. They are also open to any recommended resources for learning how to implement RFID technology.
dpsciarrino
Hello all, as the title states I'm trying to build an arduino powered chess board. The chess pieces will have magnets on the bottom and each square of the board will be equipped with a reed switch for detecting the presence of the magnetic field produced by the magnet. I recently tried this out and the neodymium magnets I bought were so powerful the field cut into adjacent squares' reed switches and gave false signals.

Does any know of a less powerful type of magnet that I can use? If you think this would be more of an application of RFID tags (an application that I've seen on the interwebs quite a lot) what sort of resources do you recommend so I may learn how to apply it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. How do I choose the right microcontroller for my chess board?

There are many factors to consider when choosing a microcontroller for your chess board, including the desired features, processing speed, and compatibility with other components. It is also important to consider the programming language and development tools available for the microcontroller. Researching and comparing different options can help you determine the best fit for your project.

2. What components do I need to build a microcontroller powered chess board?

Aside from the microcontroller, you will need a chess board, chess pieces with conductive material on the bottom, sensors for each square on the board, and a power source. You may also need additional components depending on the specific features you want to incorporate, such as LEDs for highlighting moves or a display screen for game information.

3. Do I need to have programming experience to build a microcontroller powered chess board?

Having some programming experience will definitely be helpful, but it is not necessarily required. There are many resources available online for beginners to learn the basics of programming, and there are also user-friendly programming tools and platforms specifically designed for microcontrollers that can make the process easier.

4. Can I use any chess board or chess pieces for this project?

The chess board and pieces you choose should have conductive properties in order to work with the sensors and microcontroller. You may need to modify or add conductive material to traditional chess pieces in order to make them compatible with the microcontroller. It is also important to consider the size and design of the chess board and pieces to ensure they will work with the sensors and fit within the overall design of your project.

5. How can I troubleshoot any issues with my microcontroller powered chess board?

If you encounter any issues with your chess board not functioning properly, it is important to check all the connections and make sure all components are properly wired and programmed. You may also need to refer to the documentation or seek help from online forums or communities dedicated to microcontroller projects. It can also be helpful to break the project down into smaller, testable parts to identify where the issue may be occurring.