Help locating a Math Equation to fit this curve

ikihi
Rules Violation - member warned about restarting a closed thread
The concentration is the Y axis, and the values are the x axis. What is the equation for finding a target value on a curve between set of points?
curve.png

Physics news on Phys.org
That completely depends on the curve. Since you have not provided any more information than ”curve”, nobody can say.

ikihi said:
The concentration is the Y axis, and the values are the x axis. What is the equation for finding a target value on a curve between set of points?
That looks a bit like a square root function.
Swap the x and y axes, and it becomes a parabola.
It takes three known points to fit a parabola, but you only have two.
The best you can do with two points is a straight line.

Log-Log graphs are good for power functions. Maybe if you plot Log(x) against Log(y) to get a straight line, it would make interpolation easier, but still unreliable. That assumes there is no data less than or equal to zero on the x or y axis.

ikihi said:
View attachment 335714
I have not read other responses yet and have not picked at this one yet, but the curve drawn appears like part of a circle. Can you work that way with your example?

Also, the description for your graph is incomplete. WHAT is the x-axis? What are those "values" supposed to mean?

ikihi
We cannot be sure what points we see accented on your graph. What are the ordered pair of those points accented in the big red dots?

edit: If we try to estimate to read your two points they may be (6.9 , 0.0093) and (4.8, 0.0041) .

If we guess that you have attempted to fit your scale numberings to the points, as off as they appear, these might be (4.8, 0.0040) and (7.0, 0.0080).
What ARE the two given points?

Last edited:
I changed my mind. I do not like the idea of fitting those only two points to a circle. Better for some square root function or logarithmic function. Still we no know your actual given points.

To be honest, neither the square root function norbthe circle seem like good firs to me. This entire discussion just accentuates what I already said in #2. There is way too little information in the OP to make anything but guesswork.

Orodruin said:
There is way too little information in the OP to make anything but guesswork.
Concentration suggests chemistry, which suggests adding exponential decay to the list of possible functions.

Like a good mystery, we need a couple of more data points, and units for the axes.

Likes Vanadium 50
Baluncore said:
Concentration suggests chemistry, which suggests adding exponential decay to the list of possible functions.

Like a good mystery, we need a couple of more data points, and units for the axes.
Did you also note the scales of the x and y axes? My point is not that it is a good mystery, my point is that it the mystery is not well defined, making any speculation meaningless.

Orodruin said:
Did you also note the scales of the x and y axes? My point is not that it is a good mystery, my point is that it the mystery is not well defined, making any speculation meaningless.
That's right. And we have not been informed better since @ikihi posted.

Thread closed.
The OP started this thread after an earlier thread was deleted by another mentor. Homework and homework-type questions must be posted in the relevant subforum of the Homework Help section.

1. How do I find a math equation to fit a curve?

To find a math equation to fit a curve, you will need to gather data points from the curve and plot them on a graph. Then, you can use mathematical methods such as regression analysis or curve fitting to find the best equation that fits the curve.

2. What is the best method for finding a math equation to fit a curve?

The best method for finding a math equation to fit a curve depends on the type of curve you are working with and the data points you have. Some common methods include linear regression, polynomial regression, and exponential curve fitting. It is important to choose a method that best fits your data and the type of relationship you are trying to model.

3. Can I use a software or tool to help me find a math equation to fit a curve?

Yes, there are many software and tools available that can help you find a math equation to fit a curve. Some popular options include Microsoft Excel, MATLAB, and Python libraries such as NumPy and SciPy. These tools use algorithms to find the best equation that fits your data points.

4. How accurate is the math equation that fits a curve?

The accuracy of the math equation that fits a curve depends on the quality and quantity of data points used to find the equation. Generally, the more data points you have, the more accurate the equation will be. It is also important to choose the right method and ensure that your data is representative of the relationship you are trying to model.

5. Can I use the math equation to predict future data points?

Yes, once you have found a math equation that fits a curve, you can use it to make predictions for future data points. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of these predictions will depend on the accuracy of the equation and the assumptions made during the curve fitting process. It is always recommended to validate your predictions with actual data points.