Help me come up with shock effect preventing technology (sci-fi book)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in the concept for a book where people live on an ocean planet with dangerous conditions above sea level. Combat operations take place underwater, but the use of sea mines poses a problem. The idea of using a large air bubble to diminish the shock effect of the mines is proposed, and the possibility of using a craft or drone with pressurized air tanks to approach the mines from below is suggested. Another solution is to create specialized anti-explosive capsules with a substance produced underwater. This will add depth to the worldbuilding in the book.
Antitank_Borshch
There is a problem in my technological concept that does not allow the normal development of the plot of the book. It takes place on an ocean planet where being above sea level is absolutely dangerous with the level of technology that exists there. So all combat operations there take place underwater, which automatically means the active use of sea mines. And I have trouble coming up with technology that can prevent the shock effect of them. And if it is not there, then the big question is why, with such an alignment as I describe in the book, people still exist there, and not just a pile of debris with corpses inside.

Physics news on Phys.org
sea mine means a naval mine, not a mine on the bottom of the sea

It seems like if the mine could be enveloped by a large air bubble and the mine detonated, that its coupling of its energy to the water would be diminished. I don't know how large of a bubble would give what diminishing effect, but perhaps you can do some Google searching to see if it's been studied or modeled before. Hopefully something like a bubble diameter of 3-4X the diameter of the mine would give a large dampening effect.

If it could work, then you need to figure out a way to have a craft/drone that pressurizes air tanks at the surface, then submerges and approaches a mine from below. It somehow blows the bubble (maybe with some chemicals to increase the surface tension to hold the bubble together, and releases it with some detonator thing at the bottom/middle of the bubble...

• Informative
Likes phinds, hmmm27 and Antitank_Borshch
berkeman said:
It seems like if the mine could be enveloped by a large air bubble and the mine detonated, that its coupling of its energy to the water would be diminished. I don't know how large of a bubble would give what diminishing effect, but perhaps you can do some Google searching to see if it's been studied or modeled before. Hopefully something like a bubble diameter of 3-4X the diameter of the mine would give a large dampening effect.

If it could work, then you need to figure out a way to have a craft/drone that pressurizes air tanks at the surface, then submerges and approaches a mine from below. It somehow blows the bubble (maybe with some chemicals to increase the surface tension to hold the bubble together, and releases it with some detonator thing at the bottom/middle of the bubble...
Thanks for the informative reply. I like the idea of covering the mine with a substance that will dampen the shock effect of it, but floating to the surface of the ocean with such frequency and on such a scale is almost impossible due to the high density of the atmosphere, and therefore the extreme weather conditions that rage there. Because of this, I'm leaning more toward crafting special anti-explosive munitions in the form of capsules with a substance produced/mined underwater. And it will make the worldbuilding a lot more interesting and layered, so thanks again man.

Likes berkeman
Have you considered enhanced background radiation. I mean as another explanation for keeping things happening underwater? Perhaps due to some ancient conflict? I don't think nuclear weapons are the most effective EMPs, but who knows what people do when they have access to WMDs.

I have a couple of ideas but the less said the better. :P

OP last seen in February, so no need to spin our wheels anymore here. Thread closed.

1. What exactly is shock effect in the context of your sci-fi book?

In the context of a sci-fi book, "shock effect" typically refers to the physical or psychological impact experienced by characters due to sudden, extreme changes in their environment or situation. This could be due to explosions, warfare, sudden shifts in gravity, or exposure to new, overwhelming technologies.

2. Can you explain how the proposed shock effect preventing technology works?

The technology designed to prevent shock effects in this sci-fi scenario could function through a variety of mechanisms depending on the type of shock. For physical shocks, such as explosions or rapid accelerations, the technology might utilize energy-absorbing fields or inertia dampeners that stabilize the environment and protect individuals. For psychological shocks, the technology could involve neural inhibitors that moderate emotional responses or AI-driven systems that provide real-time psychological support and adaptation advice.

3. What are the potential applications of this technology outside of military uses?

Outside of military applications, shock effect preventing technology could be incredibly beneficial in disaster response scenarios, helping both rescuers and victims cope with the traumatic events more effectively. It could also be used in medical fields to help patients deal with traumatic injuries or surgeries, in space exploration to manage the physical and psychological stresses of space travel, and in virtual reality systems to prevent adverse reactions to intense, immersive experiences.

4. Are there ethical concerns associated with the use of this technology?

Yes, there are several ethical concerns. One major issue is the potential for misuse, such as using the technology to manipulate emotions or behavior in unethical ways. There is also the concern of dependency, where individuals might rely too heavily on the technology, potentially dulling natural human responses or resilience. Additionally, issues of accessibility and fairness arise, as such technology might only be available to the wealthy or powerful, thereby increasing social inequalities.

5. How does this technology integrate with existing systems or technologies in the sci-fi world?

In a sci-fi setting, this technology would likely be integrated with other advanced systems such as artificial intelligence, biotechnology, and nanotechnology. For example, it could be linked with AI systems that monitor and respond to individual stress levels or with biotechnological implants that regulate physiological responses. Integration with nanotechnology could allow for microscopic devices that directly interact with the body to prevent shock on a cellular level.