Help Me Solve a Lab Question Involving Atoms in a Lattice

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab question about spherical atoms arranged in a cube closest-packed lattice. The question asks for the total number of atoms within a small cube constructed with corners at the centers of corner atoms, the volume occupied by these atoms, and the fraction of available space that is occupied by atoms. The second question asks for the same information but for spherical atoms in a body-centered cubic structure. It also provides a hint to construct a cube similar to the one described in the first question. The person requesting help is reminded to show their analysis before receiving assistance.
cyks07
this is one of lab question but i don't even understand please help me
the question is

1. consider spherical atoms of radius R arranged in a cube closest-packed lattice. if a small cube is constructed so that its corners are at the centers of the corner atoms, then one-eighth of each corner atom and one-half of each face-centered atom lies within the small cube. what is the total number of atoms within the small cube? calculate the volume occupied by these atoms, the volume of the cube, and the fraction of the available space that is occupied by atoms.

2. show that for spherical atoms in a body-centered cubic structure exactly 68.0 percent of the available space is occupied by atoms. (hint : begin by constructing cube like the one described in question 1

please..if u know help me

Physics news on Phys.org
nobody knows?

This question belongs in the homework section, also, you're going to need to show your analysis for each of them before any of us are allowed to help you. It's just the policy here at physicsforums.

Related to Help Me Solve a Lab Question Involving Atoms in a Lattice

1. What is a lattice in terms of atoms?

A lattice is a regular arrangement or pattern of atoms in a solid material. It is the fundamental repeating unit of a crystal structure.

2. How do atoms arrange themselves in a lattice?

Atoms arrange themselves in a lattice based on their size, shape, and the forces between them. These forces include electrostatic attraction, repulsion, and van der Waals forces.

3. How does the structure of a lattice affect the properties of a material?

The structure of a lattice can greatly affect the physical and chemical properties of a material. For example, a tightly packed lattice can result in a denser and stronger material, while a less ordered lattice can result in a more flexible and less dense material.

4. Can the arrangement of atoms in a lattice change?

Yes, the arrangement of atoms in a lattice can change due to external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the addition of impurities. This can result in a change in the properties of the material.

5. How can we use knowledge of atoms in a lattice to solve a lab question?

Knowledge of atoms in a lattice can be used to study the properties and behavior of materials, as well as to predict and manipulate their properties. In a lab setting, this knowledge can be applied to design experiments, analyze data, and solve problems related to the behavior of materials in a lattice structure.