Help me to solve my house swimming pool temperature problem please

In summary, the water temperature in a pool filled with water from two hoses will need to be increased by at least 2C in order to maintain a temperature of 35C.
Djok1234
What's up guys. Is there anyone who can challenge to solve this theoretical problem that can help to solve my house problem?

There's an empty outdoor swimming pool that has width a, length b, and depth c, such as its volume = abc. The temperature of outside is -3 C° and we are trying to fill the pool with water poured out from two hoses. Each hose pours water with rate 500mL/sec. Our goal is to fulfill the swimming pool with water temperature 35C°. What should be the temperature of the water from the hoses so that the pool can maintain its 35 C°, if we pour the water for 1 hr? 5 hrs? 10 hrs? 24 hrs? You can ignore the water exceeding volume of the pool as it just flows out anyways.

I know that Q=McT, this formula is very useful but I just do not know where to start. Any help from physics geeks? Peace!

Science news on Phys.org
Djok1234 said:
What's up guys. Is there anyone who can challenge to solve this theoretical problem that can help to solve my house problem?

There's an empty outdoor swimming pool that has width a, length b, and depth c, such as its volume = abc. The temperature of outside is -3 C° and we are trying to fill the pool with water poured out from two hoses. Each hose pours water with rate 500mL/sec. Our goal is to fulfill the swimming pool with water temperature 35C°. What should be the temperature of the water from the hoses so that the pool can maintain its 35 C°, if we pour the water for 1 hr? 5 hrs? 10 hrs? 24 hrs? You can ignore the water exceeding volume of the pool as it just flows out anyways.

I know that Q=McT, this formula is very useful but I just do not know where to start. Any help from physics geeks? Peace!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Who in the world wants to go swimming when it's -3C out?

Likes davenn
Well, it's going to depend on a lot of things, like the insulation of your pool walls, pool covers, humidity, and wind. I don't think a first principles approach is going to be very fruitful. Better check with experts in heated pools.
By the way, it's going to take a ton of energy to do what you want.

You could start by making some simplifying assumptions. I.e. perfectly insulating walls, no heat loss through the surface to get a first order solution and then introduce heat losses as a second order problem. In this case since the flow rates from both hoses are the same.
Q=Q1 + Q2 = m c T1 + m c T2 = 2m c Tf => Tf = (T1 + T2)/2. Knowing Tf then T1 and T2 can be any combination which adds up to 2 x Tf
In practice there will be some heat loss to the walls and surface.

Using the thermal properties of the walls ( and the soil behind the walls) you could estimate the heat loss to the walls under steady state conditions. Similarly you will find treatments of the heat loss from the surfaces ( radiative, convection and conduction). It is unlikely you will be able to get a full dynamical solution as the pool fills unless you use numerical approximations and finite element methods. With an estimate of the heat losses Ql though ,you could then revise the final temperature calculation using Qf = Q1 + Q2 -Ql = 2m C Tf.

1. How can I increase the temperature of my swimming pool?

To increase the temperature of your swimming pool, you can use a pool heater. Pool heaters come in different types such as gas, electric, and solar. You can choose the type that best fits your budget and needs.

2. How do I know the ideal temperature for my swimming pool?

The ideal temperature for a swimming pool is subjective and varies from person to person. However, the recommended temperature range for a pool is between 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit. You can adjust the temperature according to your personal preference.

3. Why is my pool temperature fluctuating?

The pool temperature can fluctuate due to a variety of factors such as weather conditions, heater malfunction, or inadequate insulation. It is important to regularly check your pool's equipment and maintain proper insulation to prevent temperature fluctuations.

4. Can I use a pool cover to regulate the temperature of my pool?

Yes, a pool cover can help regulate the temperature of your pool. This is especially useful during colder months as it can help retain heat and prevent heat loss. However, a pool cover is not a substitute for a pool heater and may not provide enough warmth during extremely cold weather.

5. How often should I check and adjust the temperature of my pool?

It is recommended to check and adjust the temperature of your pool at least once a week. Factors such as weather changes and pool usage can affect the temperature, so it is important to regularly monitor and make adjustments as needed.