Why Is Evo-Devo Confusing?

• Thread starter CookieSalesman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various topics related to evolutionary developmental biology, or evo-devo. The first topic is De Baer's law, which explains why embryos of different species are similar in early development. The second topic is the difference between hox genes and homeotic genes, and the role of transcription factors in regulating gene expression. The conversation also touches on the complexity of understanding the mechanisms of gene regulation.
CookieSalesman
I would appreciate some help explaining some things about evo-devo.
The way it's presented in class makes no sense at all.

I have desperately tried wikipedia but it just did NOT help in explaining anything.
Would appreciate some elucidation on my questions from the great physics forums...So to start:
1. De Baer's law, explaining why embryos are similar in early development.
Please tell me if I'm right.
My explanation is that changes to embryos are likely to become large fundamental changes that are deleterious. As a result embryonic development is strongly conserved. For instance, a small change in embryonic physical features can just end up resulting in outright death.
However these are some of my classmate's responses... Are they necessarily right or better?
-Animals resemble one another in early development- as they develop they look more and more different (Wait, is this even a reason? Am I missing something here)
And also, what does morphological similarity have to do with this...? There are a few answers under the sub-heading of morph. similarity, but I don't exactly understand what that has to do with this.

2. Please explain to me the difference between, and what are hox genes and what are homeotic genes?
I understand that hox genes are always homeotic genes...?
But... so homeotic genes are a special type of gene... but exactly how do they perform what they do? And why are they special? The thing is, I don't know what other types of genes there are, so there's nothing that I've been told saying that not all genes are homeotic, or what genes homeotic genes even affect. I feel I've been given a very bare framework of knowledge.
So... hox genes in: Yeast, animals...?

3. And what do transcription factors have to do with this? I know that they're proteins. I think they are produced by homeotic genes, and they bind to parts of DNA. Is that about it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CookieSalesman said:
1. De Baer's law, explaining why embryos are similar in early development.
Please tell me if I'm right.
My explanation is that changes to embryos are likely to become large fundamental changes that are deleterious. As a result embryonic development is strongly conserved. For instance, a small change in embryonic physical features can just end up resulting in outright death.

That seems like a decent answer. Think about changes in early embryonic development versus later embryonic development. Which are likely more likely to cause deleterious changes and which are more likely to cause changes with more limited effects.

2. Please explain to me the difference between, and what are hox genes and what are homeotic genes?
I understand that hox genes are always homeotic genes...?
That is correct.

But... so homeotic genes are a special type of gene... but exactly how do they perform what they do? And why are they special? The thing is, I don't know what other types of genes there are, so there's nothing that I've been told saying that not all genes are homeotic, or what genes homeotic genes even affect. I feel I've been given a very bare framework of knowledge.
Homeotic genes are defined by their function alone (regulating the development of anatomical structures), so identifying a gene as homeotic does not tell you about how it functions. For plenty of homeotic genes, we don't really understand in detail how they work.

3. And what do transcription factors have to do with this? I know that they're proteins. I think they are produced by homeotic genes, and they bind to parts of DNA. Is that about it?

Many homeotic genes encode transcription factors, but not all (I think...). There are also transcription factors that are not encoded by homeotic genes. Binding to DNA is an important property of transcription factors. What do transcription factors do when they bind to the DNA?

Thanks a lot!
That was helpful.

Transcription factors alter the magnitude or either turn on or off genes, I know that... But the mechanism for what they do after that is a bit complicated.

CookieSalesman said:
Transcription factors alter the magnitude or either turn on or off genes, I know that... But the mechanism for what they do after that is a bit complicated.

Yup. Many biologists will just think of transcription factors as things that turn genes on or off without thinking about the mechanism of how they work. The exact mechanisms involved are indeed quite complicated and, especially in eukaryotic cells, not well understood in many cases.

Much appreciated.

1. What is Evo-Devo?

Evo-Devo, short for Evolutionary Developmental Biology, is a field of science that studies how organisms develop and evolve over time. It combines principles from both evolutionary biology and developmental biology to understand the genetic and environmental factors that drive the formation and changes in an organism's body structure and functions.

2. How is Evo-Devo different from traditional evolutionary biology?

Evo-Devo focuses on the developmental processes and genetic mechanisms that underlie the evolution of organisms, whereas traditional evolutionary biology mainly focuses on the changes in species over time. Evo-Devo also explores the relationship between genotype and phenotype, and how these factors interact to shape an organism's development and evolution.

3. What are some examples of Evo-Devo studies?

Some examples of Evo-Devo studies include the evolution of the mammalian jaw, the development of butterfly eyespots, and the formation of the human brain. These studies use techniques such as comparative embryology, genetic analyses, and experimental manipulations to understand how changes in gene expression and developmental processes contribute to the evolution of these features.

4. How does Evo-Devo contribute to our understanding of evolution?

Evo-Devo provides a deeper understanding of the mechanisms behind evolution by focusing on the developmental processes that shape an organism's body plan. It helps explain how minor genetic changes can lead to significant morphological and functional differences between species. Additionally, studying the developmental processes of different organisms can reveal commonalities and differences in their evolutionary history.

5. How does Evo-Devo impact other fields of science?

Evo-Devo has implications in various fields of science, such as medicine, conservation, and ecology. By understanding the genetic and developmental processes that contribute to the formation and changes in an organism's body, Evo-Devo can provide insights into human health and disease. It can also help inform conservation efforts by understanding how genetic and environmental factors shape an organism's ability to adapt to changing environments. In ecology, Evo-Devo can aid in understanding how organisms interact with their environment and how developmental processes play a role in shaping their ecological niche.