How Many Moles of Na+ Are Needed to Soften 1.0×10^3 L of Hard Water?

• Thread starter David112234
  • Start date
In summary, water "softeners" use Na+ ions to replace metal ions such as Ca^2+ and Fe^3+ in solution. To replace 0.015 moles of Ca^2+ and 0.0010 moles of Fe^3+ in 1.0×10^3 L of "hard" water, you would need 0.03 moles of Na+ and 0.003 moles of Na+, respectively. This is because Ca^2+ has a 2+ charge and Fe^3+ has a 3+ charge, so they require twice and three times as much Na+ to maintain the same number of positive charges. It is important to
David112234
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template.
Water “softeners” remove metal ions such as Ca^2+ and Fe^3+ by replacing them with enough Na+ ions to maintain the same number of positive charges in the solution. If 1.0×10^3 L of “hard” water is 0.015 MCa2+ and 0.0010 M Fe3+, how many moles of Na+ are needed to replace these ions?

Ok, So this is how I would do it, Since Ca is 2+ ion you will need twice as much Na to replace its charge since Na is 1+. And for Fe 3+ 3 time as much. So if you have 0.015moles of Ca^2+ you would need 0.03 moles of Na. For Fe^3+ , 0.003 moles of Na
0.015 * 2 = 0.03
0.0010 * 3 = 0.003

But when I googled this question, I found this answer, where someone multiplied the moles of Ca, and Fe times Liters of water. (https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081023184058AAPL21u)
I don't understand why? Is my version correct? Or theirs?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have 0.015 moles of Ca2+. You have 0.015 moles of Ca2+ per liter.

That's the definition of the concentration. Concentration is an intensive property, amount is an extensive property (check what these mean if you have not heard about them these are very important concepts).

Likes David112234
Borek said:
You don't have 0.015 moles of Ca2+. You have 0.015 moles of Ca2+ per liter.

That's the definition of the concentration. Concentration is an intensive property, amount is an extensive property (check what these mean if you have not heard about them these are very important concepts).
Oh, I did not realize it was giving me the concentration, I thought it was giving me just the amount in total. Thank you

What does "help me understand this question" mean?

"Help me understand this question" is a request for clarification or explanation on a particular question. It means that the person is having difficulty comprehending the question and is seeking assistance in understanding it.

Why do people ask for help in understanding a question?

There could be several reasons why someone may ask for help in understanding a question. It could be because the question is complex or unclear, or the person may not have enough knowledge or background information on the topic. Asking for clarification can also ensure that the person provides a more accurate and relevant answer.

What is the best way to help someone understand a question?

The best way to help someone understand a question is to break it down into smaller parts and explain each part in simpler terms. You can also provide examples or ask the person to rephrase the question in their own words to ensure they have a clear understanding.

How can I improve my own understanding of a question?

You can improve your understanding of a question by actively listening and asking questions if something is unclear. It can also be helpful to do some background research on the topic and try to relate the question to your existing knowledge or experiences.

Is it okay to ask for help in understanding a question?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help in understanding a question. It shows that you are willing to learn and are open to different perspectives. Asking for help can also lead to a better understanding and a more accurate answer to the question.