Help Needed: Problem from 2001 Lial Text - Can You Provide A Clue?

• Thread starter Hsopitalist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary: This identity can be simplified to the following form:##\displaystyle \frac{1}{\tan x} = 2\tan x - 1##In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem from an old Lial text from 2001, where the individual was looking for help to solve a trig identity. After some discussion and clarification, it was determined that the original identity was incorrect and a modified version was provided, resulting in a simplified form of the identity. The individual eventually solved the problem and expressed their gratitude for the help received.
Hsopitalist
Gold Member
Homework Statement
((sec x - tan x)^2 +1)/(sec x cscx) - (tanx secx ) = 2 tan x
Relevant Equations
multiple trig identities
This is my first attempt to ask for help on here. I'm not in school (52 years old) but just exploring. This is a problem from an old Lial text from 2001.

I have worked on this problem for almost an hour now and just need some resolution. I have four pages of notes here. I have tried all kinds of substitutions and can't get a way to connect the two sides. It's number 48 on page 200 for those who have it. Can someone give me a clue for how to solve this?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I got it!

Hsopitalist said:
Homework Statement:: ((sec x - tan x)^2 +1)/(sec x cscx) - (tanx secx ) = 2 tan x
@Hsopitalist, just to be clear, is the identity you're trying to prove this (which is what you wrote):
$$\frac{(\sec x - \tan x)^2 + 1}{\sec x\csc x} - \tan x\sec x = 2\tan x$$
or is it this one?
$$\frac{(\sec x - \tan x)^2 + 1}{\sec x\csc x - \tan x\sec x} = 2\tan x$$
Edit: Both equations are edited to correctly reflect the original equation.
We've had a lot of members who wrote something like x^2 - 1/x - 1, when what they meant was (x^2 - 1)/(x - 1).
An expression written as x^2 - 1/x - 1 would usually be interpreted to mean ##x^2 - \frac 1 x - 1##.

Last edited:
Likes SammyS and Hsopitalist
Mark44

Interesting, thanks for that observation. I guess I should've put another set of parenthesis around the entire denominator. Which brings me to how were you able to write what you wrote? I like that way better than the method I used.

Sean

I gather it was this one:

Here's the TeX script I wrote, $$\frac{(\sec x - \tan x)^2 + 1}{\sec x\csc x - \tan x\sec x} = 2\tan x$$

We have a LaTeX guide -- a link to it appears in the lower left corner.

Last edited:
Likes Hsopitalist

Oh how cool is that. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
While I'm at it, I know there are programs like MATLAB and Mathematica. Is it worthwhile to start learning one of those or just save it until it comes up in a pedagogical format?

Hsopitalist said:
Never mind, I got it!
:wideeyed: how so?

Likes Hsopitalist
Archaic

Thanks for your input, this is why I love this website! My comment "how cool is that" was in reference to the fact that I had never used LaTeX before, not the equation itself.

The correct equation was in my original post, in the denominator there should have been "- tanx secx" whereas as I originally wrote it it seemed to be a term onto itself and not under the denominator.

Likes archaic
archaic said:
Both are wrong; just checked with desmos. You can also take ##x=\frac{\pi}{4}##.
I miscopied two of the trig functions in the posted identity. I've gone back an edited my post to correct the equations.

Likes SammyS and archaic
As it turns out, this expression is not an identity.

##\displaystyle \frac{(\sec x - \tan x)^2 + 1}{\sec x\csc x - \tan x\sec x} = 2\tan x ##

Modify it by replacing the last sec(x) with csc(x). The result is a trig identity.

##\displaystyle \frac{(\sec x - \tan x)^2 + 1}{\sec x\csc x - \tan x\csc x} = 2\tan x ##

Last edited:
Likes ehild

1. What is the problem from the 2001 Lial Text?

The problem from the 2001 Lial Text is a math problem that has stumped many students and teachers alike. It involves finding the value of a variable in a given equation.

2. Why is this problem considered difficult?

This problem is considered difficult because it requires a deep understanding of algebraic concepts and the ability to manipulate equations to solve for a specific variable. It also requires critical thinking skills and the ability to identify patterns and relationships within the equation.

3. Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

Yes, there have been students and teachers who have successfully solved this problem. However, it remains a challenging problem for many and has even been used as a test question in some math competitions.

4. Can you provide a clue to help solve this problem?

Unfortunately, without knowing the specific problem from the 2001 Lial Text, it is difficult to provide a clue that would be helpful. However, some general tips for solving difficult math problems include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps, and trying different approaches or strategies.

5. Is there a specific method or formula that can be used to solve this problem?

It is unlikely that there is a specific method or formula that can be used to solve this problem. Each problem is unique and may require a different approach. However, having a strong foundation in algebraic concepts and problem-solving strategies can greatly increase the chances of successfully solving this problem.