Help please with De Moivre's Theorem (raising a complex number to a power)

In summary: I don't know what this is relevant to. I don't see any '0' or other Greek letters in the problem statement.I hope you know that 'cos0' should be a theta, not a zero. Oh, you're right. I didn't see that. Thanks for pointing that out.Bear with me guys i could not get the symbols to loadIf you're having trouble with LaTeX, there is a "LaTeX and MathType Help" forum you can post in for help.
Eng studies
Homework Statement
Convert to polar form and find z'8 using de moivre theorem, plot on argand diagram
Relevant Equations
Demoivre - (cos0+jsin0)'n = cosn0 +jsinno
Hi all any help on this would be great I cant seem to progress with the theorem,

z= -2 + j > R sqrt (-2)'2 + (-1)'2
r = 2.24

0= Arctan(-1) = 26.57 Polar form = 2.24(cos(26.58)+jsin(26.58)

Could some one work a similar example to assist me through applying this ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Eng studies said:
Homework Statement: Convert to polar form and find z'8 using de moivre theorem, plot on argand diagram
Relevant Equations: Demoivre - (cos0+jsin0)'n = cosn0 +jsinno

Have you tried a Google search for videos on this subject? I did a quick search and found a number of videos that look like they would be helpful for you.

I have had a quick look maybe ill spend some more time just struggling to apply to question set above

Eng studies said:
Homework Statement: Convert to polar form and find z'8 using de moivre theorem, plot on argand diagram
I hope you know that 'cos0' should be a theta, ##\theta##, not a zero. It is true for any angle, ##\theta##.
Demoivre: ##(\cos \theta + j \sin \theta)^n = \cos n\theta + j \sin n \theta##.
Eng studies said:
Hi all any help on this would be great I cant seem to progress with the theorem,

r = 2.24
I don't know what this is relevant to. Exactly what is the statement of the problem?
Eng studies said:
None of that makes sense to me. I don't know what it is relevant to.

Likes WWGD, PeroK and berkeman
FactChecker said:
I hope you know that 'cos0' should be a theta, not a zero.
Ohh, thanks for that. I could not decipher the OP's question to save my life. :smile:

Bear with me guys i could not get the symbols to load see attached, This is where im at if you could verify the polar conversion that would be great.

Following that I need some help applying this into the theorem any relevant assistance/workings would be appreciated

Workings attached with the correct symbols

to plot z8 I presume n needs to be power of 8 but I am getting really high numbers which i do not think are correct

Attachments

• Capture de moivre.PNG
    Capture de moivre.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 63
Eng studies said:
Bear with me guys i could not get the symbols to load
To post math equations, it's best to use the LaTeX engine that PF provides. There is a helpful "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to get you started. Note that you put double-$ delimiters at the start and end of each stand-alone line of LaTeX, and double-# delimiters at the start and end of in-line LaTeX that does not need to be on its own line. Also, if you right-click on a LaTeX equation in a post, you get a pop-up menu to let you view the LaTeX source or view it in other formats.

LaTeX isn't supported in thread titles, so you can use simple text math in titles if you want.

Note also that PF uses a feature called "lazy LaTeX rendering" that speeds up page loads. When you first post your LaTeX in a thread, you will not see it rendered that first time. Just refresh your browser page to force it to be rendered, and then it should render whenever you come back to that page/thread in the future.

Ok Perfect ill have a play around with that going forward, Does my question make sense to you now ? is the polar conversion correct ?

Eng studies said:

It appears that the problem statement is this:
If z = -2 + j, use the Theorem of De Moivre to calculate ##z^8## and plot this as an Argand diagram.
Eng studies said:
r = 2.24
Do not use ' to indicate an exponent. If you don't use LaTeX, the symbol ^ is often used for this purpose.
Eng studies said:
The above is the form for complex numbers with modulus equal to 1. As was already mentioned, don't use 0 in place of ##\theta## (theta).
##(\cos(\theta) + j\sin(\theta))^n = \cos(n\theta) + j(\sin(n\theta)##
There is a different version for complex numbers whose modulus is not equal to 1.
Eng studies said:

Thanks
Here's an example.
If z = 1 + j, find ##z^3##

Solution
##|z| = \sqrt{1^2 + 1^2} = \sqrt 2##
##\theta = \arctan(1/1) = \frac \pi 4##
In polar form ##z = \sqrt 2(\cos(\pi/4) + j\sin(\pi/4))##
Then ##z^3 = (\sqrt 2)^3(\cos(3\pi/4) + j\sin(3\pi/4))##

To plot ##z^3##, the argument (angle) is 135° (halfway into Quadrant II) and the magnitude is ##2\sqrt 2 \approx 2,828##.

Likes Eng studies, jim mcnamara and berkeman
In your work shown in the attachment, you found an angle in Quadrant IV. That is incorrect- it should be in Quadrant II since that's where z is.

If you have a negative value [real or imaginary] the atan does not return the actual argument. In your case the argument is ACOS(-2/2.24) only.

Babadag said:
If you have a negative value [real or imaginary] the atan does not return the actual argument.
In this case, the actual argument is ##\tan^{-1}(-2) + \pi## or in degrees, about 153.4°.
Babadag said:
In your case the argument is ACOS(-2/2.24) only.
More precisely, ##\cos^{-1}(\frac{-2}{\sqrt 5})##.

Likes Babadag
Thanks all I will read through this in detail and have another attempt will post progress when done

find the angle, multiply it by 8, and then raise the length to the 8th power. that gives angle and length. then use trig to plot it in coords (i.e. find cos and sin of the angle, then scale by the length).

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
I ended up getting 625(cos154.48 + jsin154.48) but I am having a hard time understanding how 625 is plotted on an argand diagram?

ckfo said:
I ended up getting 625(cos154.48 + jsin154.48) but I am having a hard time understanding how 625 is plotted on an argand diagram?
To plot a complex number of the form ##A(\cos(\theta) + i\sin(\theta))##, rotate counter-clockwise through an angle of ##\theta## (measured from the positive real axis), and then go out that ray A units.

Likes Gavran
ckfo said:
That's just the length/modulus of the number. The length of the line joining the origin with the ( representation of the) number.

1. How do you raise a complex number to a power using De Moivre's Theorem?

To raise a complex number to a power using De Moivre's Theorem, you first express the complex number in polar form. Then, you apply De Moivre's Theorem by raising the magnitude to the power and multiplying the angle by the power.

2. Can you provide an example of using De Moivre's Theorem to raise a complex number to a power?

Sure! Let's say we want to raise the complex number 2 + 2i to the power of 3. First, we convert 2 + 2i to polar form, which is 2√2*(cos(π/4) + i*sin(π/4)). Then, applying De Moivre's Theorem, we raise the magnitude (2√2) to the power of 3 and multiply the angle (π/4) by 3 to get the result in polar form. Finally, we convert the result back to rectangular form if needed.

3. What is the significance of De Moivre's Theorem in complex number calculations?

De Moivre's Theorem is important in complex number calculations because it provides a simple and efficient way to raise complex numbers to integer powers. It allows us to easily compute powers of complex numbers without having to perform lengthy calculations.

4. Are there any limitations to using De Moivre's Theorem for raising complex numbers to a power?

One limitation of De Moivre's Theorem is that it is specifically designed for raising complex numbers to integer powers. It may not be as useful for calculating non-integer powers of complex numbers or for more complex operations involving complex numbers.

5. How does De Moivre's Theorem relate to Euler's Formula?

De Moivre's Theorem is closely related to Euler's Formula, which states that e^(iθ) = cos(θ) + i*sin(θ). By using Euler's Formula, we can derive De Moivre's Theorem as a special case when raising e^(iθ) to an integer power. This connection between the two formulas highlights the fundamental relationship between trigonometry, complex numbers, and exponential functions.