Help requested with translating math into code (Not homework)

In summary, help was requested with translating math equations into code. This was not a homework assignment, but rather a request for assistance in converting mathematical concepts into a programming language. The task may involve breaking down complex formulas, implementing logical operators, or creating functions to solve specific problems. Accurate translation of math into code requires a strong understanding of both mathematics and programming concepts.
noname12345
TL;DR Summary
I've found a paper that develops a bunch of equations related to spiral bevel gears. I want to translate those equations into programming code; but I learnt my math a lifetime ago and last used about 1/2 a lifetime ago.
The paper is https://core.ac.uk/display/10365043 (12MB pdf)

My purpose is to construct parametised spiral bevel gears (using OpenSCAD). I know how to produce a correctly formed circular cut (cylindrical) crown gear profile.

My problem is mapping that to a conical surface.

I am looking for someone to help me first understand which of the 85 equations in the paper are the two I think I need, and then help to convert them into code to construct the required affine transform(s).

I see the call for lots of supporting material, but gears are a big subject; and I'd probably end up giving lengthy explanations of wrong things; so I'm hoping it is acceptable to supply further information as required.

The diagrams in the paper are not very clear, so I'll include this which may help in inperpreting some of them.
1618844436149.png

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question needs to be answered by a gear expert because any programming code will be unique to the particular gear cutting machine. Is this covered in Dudley's Handbook of Practical Gear Design?: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1439866015/?tag=pfamazon01-20. If so, that book would be your best resource if you cannot find a gear expert with specific expertise in this type of gear.

• Informative
Likes WWGD and berkeman
(Thread moved to the ME forum with a redirect left behind in the Differential Geometry forum.)

jrmichler said:
any programming code will be unique to the particular gear cutting machine.
There is no gear cutting machine involved. The code in question is for generating gear models for use in FEA simulations ONLY.
jrmichler said:
Is this covered in Dudley's Handbook of Practical Gear Design?: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1439866015/?tag=pfamazon01-20. If so, that book would be your best resource if you cannot find a gear expert with specific expertise in this type of gear.
That book -- a (very old) copy of which is on my bookshelf -- has nothing on differential geometry.
It is only the math -- particularly the differential geometry math -- that I need help with. I am fully conversant with gears and am quite willing to explain any part non-mathematical part of the paper. I am (was:retired) a mechanical engineer; and I know that I will get no help with the mathematics from fellow engineers.

You have effectively consigned MY question to the bin. Thanks a million.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
(Thread moved to the ME forum with a redirect left behind in the Differential Geometry forum.)
Thread has been moved back to DG.

Too late. The poisonous effect of premature and incorrect redirection persists and will prevent anyone bothering to consider the actual question.
If I could delete it I would. I I could delete my account, I would.

But as this place is still living in the old days, I have to settle for disabling all notifications and deleting all the cookies, and other crap from here locally.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Buk said:
Too late. The poisonous effect of premature and incorrect redirection persists and will prevent anyone bothering to consider the actual question.
If I could delete it I would. I I could delete my account, I would.

But as this place is still living in the old days, I have to settle for disabling all notifications and deleting all the cookies, and other crap from here locally.
No, I think the replies have been limited because you are asking folks to do a rather large amount of work for you for free. What is the end game on this project? Is it just for fun, or for a business project?

Yeah, read this whole paper, look at 85 equations and tell me which one to use sounds like a job, not an interesting intellectual topic.

Your melodramatic response to your thread being moved doesn't make me feel more sympathetic.

I don't even fully understand what you are looking for, just a function that maps a cylinder to a cone?

Likes weirdoguy, WWGD, Tom.G and 3 others

1. How do I translate a mathematical equation into code?

To translate a mathematical equation into code, you first need to understand the logic behind the equation and break it down into smaller steps. Then, you can use programming languages such as Python or Java to write code that follows the same logic as the equation.

2. What are some common mistakes when translating math into code?

Some common mistakes when translating math into code include using incorrect variable names, not properly handling division by zero, and not accounting for order of operations.

3. Are there any resources or tools that can help with translating math into code?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available that can assist with translating math into code. Some popular ones include WolframAlpha, Codeacademy, and Khan Academy.

4. How do I test my code to ensure it accurately translates the math equation?

You can test your code by manually solving the equation and comparing the results to the output of your code. You can also use test cases with different inputs to see if the code produces the expected output.

5. Can you provide an example of translating a math equation into code?

Sure, for example, let's say we want to translate the equation y = 2x + 5 into code. We can assign the value of x to a variable, say x = 3, and then use the formula y = 2*x + 5 to calculate the value of y. So, the code would be y = 2*3 + 5, which would give us the output of y = 11.