Help understanding pressure involving water in two different cylinders

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of determining which application would have less resistance in moving water into a tank from a natural gas well. One person claims that the hydrostatic pressure would be higher in a 20 ft, 3 inch section of pipe compared to a 12 ft wide tank with 10 ft of water. The expert clarifies that only the depth and density of the fluid affects hydrostatic pressure, not the area of the container. The conversation then explores if using a smaller pipe would require less pressure to move the same amount of water, and the expert explains that the larger pipe would actually have less flowing friction and a higher flow rate.
Branson Sutter
Please excuse my ignorance. I work for a Natural gas company and have an issue that needs addressed. When gas comes out of the ground it goes into a piece of equipment that separates the water from the gas. The gas goes into a pipeline and the water is dumped into a tank. We are currently trying to figure out which application would have less resistance. So the question is would it require more pressure to inject the water into the bottom of a 12ft wide tank with 12ft of water in it, or to run a 3inch pipe up the side of the 20ft tank and dump the water in at the top. One person claims that the hydrostatic pressure will be higher in the 20ft 3inch section of pipe when full of water vs the 12ft wide tank with 10 ft of water. I don't know enough about this but I figure there are multiple measures of pressure/resistance involved so figured I would ask someone smarter than myself. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Branson Sutter said:
One person claims that the hydrostatic pressure will be higher in the 20 ft 3 inch section of pipe when full of water vs the 12 ft wide tank with 10 ft of water.
That person is correct. Only the depth and density of a fluid determines its hydrostatic pressure.
The area of fluid container has no effect, the hydrostatic pressure at a given difference in elevation is the same for a giant lake as it is for 0.10 inch diameter tube.

JBA said:
That person is correct. Only the depth and density of a fluid determines its hydrostatic pressure.
The area of fluid container has no effect, the hydrostatic pressure at a given difference in elevation is the same for a giant lake as it is for 0.10 inch diameter tube.

Thank you! the water is being moved to the tank by the pressure from the well. Would running smaller pipe, lowering the volume of water, require less pressure to displace any given amount of water into the tank?

Branson Sutter said:
Thank you! the water is being moved to the tank by the pressure from the well. Would running smaller pipe, lowering the volume of water, require less pressure to displace any given amount of water into the tank?

I think maybe a better way of asking would be. Is there more resistance, from friction or any other source, to push 10 gallons of water through a 3 inch line full of water vs a 1 inch line full of water the same length

No, it is exactly the reverse, the larger 3" pipe will have less flowing friction back pressure and a higher flow rate for a given pipe inlet pressure than the 1" pipe.

For any given flow rate (gpm etc) through a pipe, as the velocity of the fluid flowing through the pipe increases, the pipe's flowing backpressure increases; so, the pipe with the largest inside area will have the lowest flow velocity and therefore the lowest flowing backpressure.

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the force exerted per unit area. In the context of water in cylinders, it refers to the force exerted by the water on the walls of the cylinder.

2. How is pressure related to water in two different cylinders?

The pressure of water in two different cylinders is related by Pascal's law, which states that the pressure exerted by a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. This means that the pressure in both cylinders will be the same, regardless of the size or shape of the cylinders.

3. How does the height of water in a cylinder affect the pressure?

The height of water in a cylinder does not directly affect the pressure. However, the pressure at the bottom of the cylinder will be greater due to the weight of the water above it. This is known as hydrostatic pressure and is directly proportional to the height of the water column.

4. How does the diameter of a cylinder affect the pressure of water inside?

The diameter of a cylinder does not directly affect the pressure of water inside. However, a larger diameter cylinder will have a larger surface area, meaning the force of the water will be spread out over a larger area, resulting in lower pressure compared to a smaller diameter cylinder with the same amount of water.

5. How can I calculate the pressure of water in a cylinder?

The pressure of water in a cylinder can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water column. Alternatively, you can use a pressure gauge to measure the pressure directly.