Help with a question regarding Gravimetric Calculations

In summary, the major industrial method for producing elemental phosphorus involves heating a mixture of phosphate rock, carbon, and sand in an electric furnace. The resulting reactions can be represented by two equations, which can be balanced to calculate the percentage of Ca3(PO4)2 originally present in the rock sample. Through a series of steps, it was determined that 69.2% of the original sample was Ca3(PO4)2.
drTat
This is the question I have been working through and I just want to know if I am on the right track. Any advice is appreciated.

10. The major industrial method for the preparation of elemental phosphorus is heating a mixture of phosphate rock, carbon, and sand in an electric furnace. The chemical reactions can be represented by

Ca3(PO4)2 + SiO2 → CaSiO3 + P4O10

and

P4O10 + C → P4 + CO

a. First balance the equations.

b. Then calculate the percentage of Ca3(PO4)2 initially present in the rock sample if 307 kg of phosphate rock yields 42.5 kg of elemental P4.

A) I balanced the equations:

2Ca3(PO4)2 + 6SiO2 → 6CaSiO3 + P4O10

and

P4O10 + 10C → P4 + 10CO

B) Then I started to work backwards to figure out part B, below are the steps I took.

moles of P4 = 42.5kg x 1mol P4/ 123.88 g = 343.07 mol

Moles P4O10 = 343.07 mol x 1mol P4O10/1 mol P4 = 343.07 mol

kg P4O10 = 343.07 mol x 283.88g/ 1 mol P4O10 = 97.4 kg P4O10

moles Ca3(PO4)2 = 343.07 mol P4O10 x 2mol Ca3(PO4)2/1mol P4O10 = 686.14 mol

g Ca3(PO4)2 = 686.14 mol Ca(PO4)2 x 309.94 g/1mol Ca(PO4)2 = 212.66 kg Ca3(PO4)2

Percent of Ca3(PO4)2 present in original sample = 212.66 kg/307 kg x 100% = 69.2%

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me. Note: to simplify calculations whole process can be written as

Ca3(PO4)2 → 2P

(look at the number of atoms of P). While it is not balanced it correctly preserves the ratio between the starting substance and the product you are interested in, making calculations much faster.

1. What are gravimetric calculations?

Gravimetric calculations refer to the process of determining the concentration or amount of a substance in a sample by measuring its mass. This method is commonly used in analytical chemistry and is based on the principle that the mass of a substance is directly proportional to its concentration.

2. How are gravimetric calculations used in scientific research?

Gravimetric calculations are used in various scientific fields, such as environmental science, pharmaceuticals, and materials science. They are particularly useful in determining the purity of a substance, identifying unknown substances, and measuring the amount of a specific element or compound in a sample.

3. What are the steps involved in performing gravimetric calculations?

The first step is to carefully weigh the sample and record its mass. Then, the sample is subjected to a series of chemical reactions to isolate the desired substance. The isolated substance is then weighed again to determine its mass. The difference in mass between the initial and final measurements is used to calculate the concentration or amount of the substance in the sample.

4. What are the limitations of gravimetric calculations?

One limitation of gravimetric calculations is that they require a high level of precision in measurement and sample preparation. Any errors in weighing or chemical reactions can significantly affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for substances that are volatile or easily decomposable.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of gravimetric calculations?

To improve the accuracy of gravimetric calculations, it is important to use high-quality equipment and carefully follow the procedures. Additionally, performing duplicate or triplicate measurements can help identify and eliminate any errors. It is also crucial to properly store and handle samples to prevent contamination or loss of mass.