Help with Diagonal Matrix for T: R2 → R2

In summary, to find a basis B for the domain of T such that the matrix for T relative to B is diagonal, we can use the eigenvectors of T and construct a basis B using those eigenvectors. The matrix for T relative to B will then be diagonal.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

Find a basis B for the domain of T such that the matrix for T relative to B is diagonal.
T: R2 → R2: T(x, y) = (6x + 3y, 2x + y)
Not sure where to even start with this one.

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We can express $T \begin{pmatrix}{x}\\{y}\end{pmatrix}=A \begin{pmatrix}{x}\\{y}\end{pmatrix}$ with $A=\begin{pmatrix}{6}&{3}\\{2}&{1}\end{pmatrix}$. Eigenvalues of $T$: $$\det (A-\lambda I)=\lambda^2-(\mbox{trace }A)\lambda+\det A=\lambda^2-7\lambda=0\Leftrightarrow \lambda=7\vee \lambda=0$$ both real and simple, so $T$ is diagonalizable over $\mathbb{R}$. The eigenspaces are: $$\ker (A-7I)\equiv\left \{ \begin{matrix}-x+3y=0\\ 2x-6y=0\end{matrix}\right.\;,\quad \ker (A-0I)\equiv\left \{ \begin{matrix}6x+3y=0\\ 2x+y=0\end{matrix}\right.$$ with respective basis $B_{7}=\{(3,1)^t\}$ and $B_{0}=\{(-1,2)^t\}$. As a consequence, $B=\{(3,1)^t,(-1,2)^t\}$ is a basis of eigenvectors for $\mathbb{R}^2$ and the matrix for $T$ relative to $B$ is $D=\begin{pmatrix}{7}&{0}\\{0}&{0}\end{pmatrix}.$

Related to Help with Diagonal Matrix for T: R2 → R2

1. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix in which all non-diagonal elements are equal to zero. The diagonal elements can be any real numbers or variables.

2. How do you represent a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix can be represented using the notation "diag(a1, a2, ..., an)" where a1, a2, ..., an are the diagonal elements of the matrix.

3. How do you find the matrix representation of a linear transformation T: R2 → R2?

In order to find the matrix representation of a linear transformation T: R2 → R2, we need to first determine the images of the standard basis vectors of R2 under T. These images will then form the columns of the matrix representation of T.

4. How do you apply a diagonal matrix to a vector?

To apply a diagonal matrix to a vector, we simply multiply each element of the vector by the corresponding diagonal element of the matrix. This will result in a new vector with each element scaled by a specific factor.

5. What are the benefits of using diagonal matrices in linear transformations?

Diagonal matrices are useful in linear transformations because they represent transformations that only scale the vector without changing its direction. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the effects of the transformation on the vector space. Additionally, diagonal matrices are computationally efficient to work with, making them a popular choice in many applications.