Help with Functions - Linearization

In summary: L(1) = \sqrt{1} + \dfrac{1}{2}(x-1) = \dfrac{1}{2}x + \dfrac{1}{2}$In summary, the function f(x) = $\sqrt{x}$ and the function g(x) = c + m(x-1) are given. It is known that g(1) = f(1), and the limit as x approaches 1 of the difference quotient of f(x) and g(x) is equal to 0. Solving
vickon
Let f(x) = \sqrt{x}
Assume that g is function such that
(i) g(c)= c+m(x-1)
(ii) f(1) = g(1), and
(iii) \lim_{{x}\to{1}}\frac{f(x)-g(x)}{x-1}

Answer the following questions. Show all of your work, and explain your reasoning.
(a) What are the constants c and m?
(b) How does g compare with the linearization of f at 1?

For a, I have that the constant c=1, but I'm having trouble determining the constant m. I also am not sure what is required to answer part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
vickon said:
Let f(x) = \sqrt{x}
Assume that g is function such that

(i) g(c)= c+m(x-1) sure this isn't g(x) = c + m(x-1) ?

(ii) f(1) = g(1), and

(iii) \lim_{{x}\to{1}}\frac{f(x)-g(x)}{x-1} is this limit equal to anything ?

Answer the following questions. Show all of your work, and explain your reasoning.
(a) What are the constants c and m?
(b) How does g compare with the linearization of f at 1?

For a, I have that the constant c=1, but I'm having trouble determining the constant m. I also am not sure what is required to answer part b.

clarification needed above ...

Yes, sorry! g(x)=c+m(x-1) and the lim=0

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1} \dfrac{\sqrt{x} - [1+m(x-1)]}{x-1} = 0$

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1} \dfrac{\sqrt{x}-1}{x-1} - \dfrac{m(x-1)}{x-1} = 0$

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1} \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{x}+1} - m = 0 \implies m = \dfrac{1}{2}$linearization of f(x) at x = 1 ...

$L(1) = f(1) + f’(1) \cdot (x-1)$

What is linearization?

Linearization is the process of approximating a nonlinear function with a linear function. It involves finding the tangent line at a specific point on the curve and using it to approximate the function's behavior near that point.

Why is linearization useful?

Linearization is useful because it allows us to simplify complex nonlinear functions and make them easier to analyze. It also helps us approximate the behavior of a function near a specific point without having to use complicated calculations.

How do you find the linearization of a function?

The linearization of a function can be found by taking the first derivative of the function, plugging in the specific point of interest, and using the point-slope form to create the equation of the tangent line.

What is the difference between linearization and linear regression?

Linearization and linear regression are two different methods used to approximate nonlinear functions. Linearization involves finding the tangent line at a specific point, while linear regression involves finding the best-fit line for a set of data points.

Can linearization be used for all types of functions?

No, linearization can only be used for functions that are differentiable at the point of interest. If a function is not differentiable at a specific point, linearization cannot be used to approximate its behavior at that point.