Help with light bulb radiation

In summary, the person is conducting an experiment in thermocouples electricity generation using thermal radiation from the sun. They are a high school student and would like to simulate the sun's thermal radiation using a 100w incandescent light bulb as an independent variable and measuring the voltage generated in a "k type" thermocouple as the dependent variable. They have read that tungsten filaments have black body properties and are wondering what measurements to take and vary in order to analyze the sun's thermal radiation. They are also asking about how to relate temperature, distance, wavelength, temperature, wattage, and resistance of a light bulb filament. They are seeking advice on whether it would be more convenient to use a halogen light bulb, another
Alvaro8
Hi guys I´m doing an experiment in thermocouples electricity generation by thermal radiation of Sun (As an addition to Solar panels). I´m still in high school and I don´t know a lot about the topic. I would like to simulate sun thermal radiation with a 100w incandescent light bulb as an independent variable and the voltage generated in a "k type" thermocouple as the dependent one. I read that tungsten filaments have black body properties approximations.
What measurement should I take and vary if I would like to analyze Sun thermal radiation?
How can I relate temperature at a certain distance with the wavelength, temperature, wattage and resistance of a light bulb filament?
Would it be more convenient to use a halogen light bulb, another type of light sources or color filters? Why?
Any help would be really appreciated and sorry if my English is not good, I´m a Spanish native speaker.

Science news on Phys.org
:welcome:

That sounds like very good high school experimentation. My advice is to narrow your focus. Decide what you are studying and what is excluded.

For example, if your focus is on the thermoelectric effect, then it does not matter what he source of the thermal energy is.

If your focus is on the energy spectrum of sunlight, it does not matter what use is made of the energy.

Knowledge gained by such experiments can be combined with knowledge from other experiments in useful ways. But if you include to many factors in your experiment, it becomes less general and less useful.

Your experiment should try to learn the properties of things, not to design a practical electric energy generator.

So please think of your focus and post here again.

Likes sophiecentaur

What is light bulb radiation?

Light bulb radiation refers to the emission of electromagnetic radiation from a light bulb. This includes visible light, as well as infrared and ultraviolet radiation.

Is light bulb radiation harmful?

In general, light bulb radiation is not harmful to humans. The amount of radiation emitted by a light bulb is very low and typically not strong enough to cause any harm. However, exposure to high levels of UV radiation from some types of light bulbs can have negative effects on the skin and eyes.

What are the different types of light bulb radiation?

Light bulbs emit different types of radiation depending on their technology. Incandescent bulbs emit mostly infrared and visible light, while fluorescent bulbs emit mostly visible and UV light. LED bulbs emit mostly visible light, with a small amount of infrared and UV radiation.

Can light bulb radiation be controlled?

Yes, light bulb radiation can be controlled by using different types of light bulbs. For example, if you want to reduce UV radiation, you can use LED or fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs. Additionally, you can use lamp shades or covers to further reduce the amount of radiation emitted.

How does light bulb radiation affect the environment?

The use of light bulbs can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. On one hand, energy-efficient light bulbs like LED and fluorescent bulbs can help reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. On the other hand, improper disposal of light bulbs containing mercury can harm the environment and human health.