Help with paper on gradient descent evolution of surfaces

In summary, the author is trying to apply a gradient projection equation to a set of energy functionals, but is having trouble understanding how the equation works.
danrop
Hi all,

I'm trying to understand someone's PhD thesis on the topic of variational surface evolution and its application in computer vision, and I'm having trouble working out how he evaluates some particular types of expressions involving the gradient.

I think it'll be easier if I specify the concerned references directly, with the hope that someone with the time, patience and knowledge can take a brief look at them and help clarify things.

For an overview of the author's research, please take a look at the following presentation:
http://www.uib.no/People/nmaxt/oslo-talk/Solem_Oslo-2005.pdf

Of particular interest to my problem is the gradient projection given on page 10 of this presentation, and the gradient descent evolution of the surface on page 15.
I will reproduce these two equations below (with a slight difference from the original document), referring to them as the gradient projection eq. and the steepest descent eq. respectively:

[tex]\nabla_{S^m} f(\mathbf{x}) = \nabla \tilde{f} - \langle \nabla\tilde{f}, \mathbf{n}\rangle\mathbf{n}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla_M E = \nabla\cdot(g_n + g\mathbf{n})[/tex]

(Note that the second equation uses the the projected gradient term from the first - [tex]g_n = \nabla_{S^m} g[/tex] )
My first equation uses n instead of x as done by the author in the presentation, because in the presentation he has written the equation for the specific case when M is the unit sphere. I simply wanted to emphasise that M could be any surface, and n is the unit normal at the point under consideration. Also, to remove any potential confusion (one that I experienced initially), for the general case, the S^m in [tex]\nabla_{S^m}[/tex] is merely used to indicate of the fact that the 'Gauss map' on any closed manifold is given by the map n : M -> S^m

Now, referring to the author's PhD thesis:
http://homeweb.mah.se/~tsjeso/publications/Solem-thesis-2006.pdf

My main problem is how the author applies these equations to some specific examples of energy functionals, on page 40 and 41, of the thesis.

Referring first to the (simpler) example on page 41 (section 3.7), with
[tex] g = - 1/2 (\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{n}) [/tex]

The way the author applies the gradient projection eq. seems to imply that
[tex]
\nabla_{S^m}(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{n}) = \mathbf{v} - (\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{n})\mathbf{n}
[/tex]
or to narrow it down even further
[tex] \nabla(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{n}) = \mathbf{v} [/tex]
(with the assumption - I suppose - that the vector field 'v' is defined throughout the space, and that the gradient of the vector field 'v' is a function), and maybe it's just some simple property from vector calculus of the gradient operator that I haven't been able to apply, but I don't get it.
Ditto with the more complex examples on page 40 of the thesis, eqs. 3.27 and 3.25.

I don't have a lot of mathematical knowledge, so forgive me if I made a slip-up somewhere in my understanding of the problem and the author's solution (and in which case I would welcome any corrections)

I'd be grateful for any help...
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
expansions

The gradient of an inner product is amazingly complex: four terms with the curls. One day soon I'll know the LaTex to offer it.

1. What is gradient descent?

Gradient descent is an optimization algorithm used to minimize a cost function by iteratively adjusting the parameters of a model in the direction of steepest descent of the cost function.

2. How does gradient descent relate to the evolution of surfaces?

In the context of surfaces, gradient descent can be used to optimize surface parameters such as height and smoothness in a way that mimics natural selection. This can lead to the evolution of surfaces that are better suited to their environment.

3. What is the role of fitness in gradient descent evolution of surfaces?

Fitness refers to the ability of a surface to survive and thrive in its environment. In gradient descent evolution of surfaces, fitness is used as a measure of how well a particular set of surface parameters performs in the given environment. The algorithm then adjusts these parameters in the direction of higher fitness, leading to the evolution of surfaces that are better adapted to their surroundings.

4. Can gradient descent be used for any type of surface optimization?

Yes, gradient descent can be used for a wide range of surface optimization tasks, including but not limited to height and smoothness optimization. It is a versatile algorithm that can be applied to various types of cost functions and surface parameters.

5. Are there any limitations to gradient descent evolution of surfaces?

Like any optimization algorithm, gradient descent also has its limitations. It may get stuck in local minima, leading to suboptimal solutions. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the choice of cost function and the initial parameters. Therefore, it is important to carefully design and tune the algorithm for each specific application.