Help with Proof: sin4x/(1-cos4x) * (1-cos2x)/cos2x = tan x

• Thread starter kathyjoan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the student was attempting to solve a homework equation but was having difficulty doing so. They eventually found an equation that worked, but it was not easy.
kathyjoan

Homework Statement

sin4x/(1-cos4x) * (1-cos2x)/cos2x = tan x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, gosh, there seems to be some things missing! Do you really think saying "I don't feel like making any attempt at all" is a good way to convince people to help you?

HallsofIvy said:
Well, gosh, there seems to be some things missing! Do you really think saying "I don't feel like making any attempt at all" is a good way to convince people to help you?

I have tried sin4x=sin(2x+2x)=2sin2xcos2x

(2sin2x/(1-cos4x))*1-cos2x

(2sin2x-2sin2xcos2x)/(1-cos4x)

2sin2x(1-cos2X)/1-cos4x

cos2x=1-2sin^2x

cos4x= cos^2 2x + sin^2 2x

can I do sin2x=sin(x+x)=sinxcosx+cosxsinx=sinx(2cosx)

I end up with 4sinxcosx=tanx?

kathyjoan said:
I have tried sin4x=sin(2x+2x)=2sin2xcos2x

(2sin2x/(1-cos4x))*1-cos2x

(2sin2x-2sin2xcos2x)/(1-cos4x)

2sin2x(1-cos2X)/1-cos4x

cos2x=1-2sin^2x

cos4x= cos^2 2x + sin^2 2x

can I do sin2x=sin(x+x)=sinxcosx+cosxsinx=sinx(2cosx)

I end up with 4sinxcosx=tanx? not great

Let me start you off on an easier path
[tex]\frac{sin4x}{1-cos4x} * \frac{1-cos2x}{cos2x}[/tex]

remember that [itex]sin4x=2sin2xcos2x[/itex], you replace sin4x by that identity...will anything there cancel out and make the expression simpler to prove?

EDIT:2sin2x(1-cos2X)/1-cos4x

you're nearly there actually...remember [itex]cos2A=1-2sin^2A[/itex] if A=2x then you'll have an identity for cos4x...use it and you'll get it out

Okay

I am left with 2sin2x(1-cos2x)/-2sin^2 2x
wow! okay then cos 2x=1-2sin^2x
2sin^2x/-sin2X
2sin^2x/-2sinxcosx=sin/cos wha la Thanks so very much!

Related to Help with Proof: sin4x/(1-cos4x) * (1-cos2x)/cos2x = tan x

1. What is the purpose of this proof?

The purpose of this proof is to show the equality between the left side and the right side of the equation, and to demonstrate the relationship between the trigonometric functions involved.

2. How do you approach solving this proof?

To solve this proof, we will use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression on both sides of the equation until they are equal.

3. Can you explain the steps involved in solving this proof?

First, we will use the double angle identity for sine to rewrite sin4x as 2sin2xcos2x. Then, we will use the Pythagorean identity to rewrite cos2x as 1-sin2x. Next, we will distribute the 2sin2x to both terms in the numerator and simplify. Finally, we will use the quotient identity for tangent to transform the left side of the equation into tan x, which is equal to the right side.

4. Are there any tips for remembering the trigonometric identities used in this proof?

One helpful tip is to practice using the identities in different problems to become more familiar with them. Another tip is to create a cheat sheet or flashcards to refer to when solving similar proofs.

5. Can this proof be solved using other methods?

Yes, there may be other methods to solve this proof, such as using trigonometric substitution or graphing the functions to show that they are equal. However, the method described above is a common and straightforward approach for solving this type of proof.