Heterogeneous equilibria: concentration of solids issue

In summary, the conversation discusses the concentration of solid carbon and its relation to the equilibrium expression. It explains that adding more or less carbon to the reaction mixture will not change the concentration of carbon in the solution, as the solid does not dissolve. The concentration of the solid carbon is dependent on its density, which remains constant as long as some solid is present. This means that the concentration of pure solids, labeled with (s) in the chemical equation, is not included in the equilibrium expression. The conversation also clarifies that the density of solid carbon stays the same, unless it is considered compressible.
ducmod

Homework Statement

Hello!

Here is the quote from the chemistry textbook by Tro:

However, since carbon is a solid, its concentration is constant—it does not change.

Adding more or less carbon to the reaction mixture does not change the concentration

of carbon. The concentration of a solid does not change because a solid does

not expand to fill its container. The concentration of a solid, therefore, depends

only on its density, which (except for slight variations due to temperature) is constant

as long as some solid is present. Consequently, pure solids—those reactants or

products labeled in the chemical equation with an (s )—are not included in the

equilibrium expression.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I will be grateful for your help because I do not understand everything that is said in the above quote.
Please, correct my assumptions or explain what I miss:
- I understand that the concentration of the solid will not change no matter how much solid we add because the concentration implies the amount of dissolved substance. Hence, if we have solid, it doesn't dissolve in that substance, and the concentration in the solution will be the same. That's why the textbook states that adding more carbon to the solution will not change its concentration.
- What I don't understand is the next thing that is being stated: the concentration depends on the density, which is constant. I assume the author says that no matter how much carbon we add to the solution the density will stay the same. How can that be, or do I miss some basic understanding? Density is the mass/volume, i.e. how much of substance's particles are present in a given volume. If I add more carbon, I will increase the density, won't I?
- I would interpret the phrase 'concentration is constant' as 'after some solid has been formed, at a certain period, if that solid did dissolve to some extent, the concentration will become stable no matter how much additional solid is added'.
Please, help to understand this topic.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
They are referring to the concentration of the solid carbon, not the concentration of the carbon dissolved in the solution.

Chestermiller said:
They are referring to the concentration of the solid carbon, not the concentration of the carbon dissolved in the solution.
Thank you for your reply! I am confused by the idea that no matter how much of carbon we add, the density stays the same. How can this be? Or am I reading the passage incorrectly?

ducmod said:
Thank you for your reply! I am confused by the idea that no matter how much of carbon we add, the density stays the same. How can this be? Or am I reading the passage incorrectly?
The density of the solid carbon stays the same (assuming that the carbon is considered incompressible).

Chestermiller said:
The density of the solid carbon stays the same (assuming that the carbon is considered incompressible).
I think I understand now, and see what has caused my confusion. Thank you!

1. What is a heterogeneous equilibrium?

A heterogeneous equilibrium is a type of chemical equilibrium where there are multiple phases present, such as solids, liquids, and gases. This means that the reactants and products are not all in the same physical state.

2. How does the concentration of solids affect a heterogeneous equilibrium?

In a heterogeneous equilibrium, the concentration of solids does not affect the equilibrium constant. This is because the concentration of a solid does not change as the reaction progresses, so it is not included in the equilibrium expression.

3. Can the concentration of solids be changed in a heterogeneous equilibrium?

Yes, the concentration of solids can be changed by adding or removing the solid from the reaction mixture. However, this will not affect the equilibrium constant, as mentioned in the previous question.

4. What is the role of temperature in a heterogeneous equilibrium?

Temperature can affect the equilibrium position of a heterogeneous equilibrium. In general, increasing the temperature will favor the endothermic reaction, while decreasing the temperature will favor the exothermic reaction. This can lead to a shift in the equilibrium position and a change in the concentrations of the reactants and products.

5. Can heterogeneous equilibria be manipulated to produce more products?

Yes, heterogeneous equilibria can be manipulated to produce more products by changing the conditions of the reaction. This can include adjusting the temperature, pressure, or concentrations of reactants. However, it is important to note that this manipulation can also affect the equilibrium position and may not always result in a higher yield of products.