High-Pressure Turbine - efficiency

In summary, increasing the pressure ratio in a High-Pressure Turbine (in a Gas Engine) will result in a higher temperature of the exhaust gas. This is due to the increase in pressure causing more heat to be added per kg of the gas. For further reading on this topic, you can refer to materials on compressor-burner-turbine heat engines.
Kajan thana
Hi Guys,

Why increasing the pressure ratio in a High-Pressure Turbine ( in a Gas Engine) , will increase the temperature of exhaust gas?
Why is the amount of heat added per kg of the gas is higher?
Is there any good material where I can read about this?
Thank you in advance..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kajan thana said:
increasing the pressure ratio in a High-Pressure Turbine ( in a Gas Engine) , will increase the temperature of exhaust gas?
Could you include a reference for that?

Likes Kajan thana
Keith_McClary said:
Could you include a reference for that?
Sorry Keith, I think I found out, correct me if I am wrong ( I didn't get it from any source). When increasing the pressure ratio in a High-Turbine pressure will decrease the temperature of the exhaust. and an increase in pressure means that more heat is added per kg of the gas.

Are you talking about a turbocharger for a piston engine?

Likes Kajan thana
Keith_McClary said:
Are you talking about a turbocharger for a piston engine?
This is for a compressor-burner-turbine heat engine

1. What is the purpose of a high-pressure turbine?

The high-pressure turbine is a crucial component of a gas turbine engine, responsible for converting the energy of high-pressure gas into mechanical energy to drive the compressor and generator. This mechanical energy is then used to power aircraft, ships, and power plants.

2. How is the efficiency of a high-pressure turbine measured?

The efficiency of a high-pressure turbine is typically measured by its isentropic efficiency, which is the ratio of the actual work output to the ideal work output. It is expressed as a percentage and can be calculated using the turbine's inlet and outlet temperatures and pressures.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a high-pressure turbine?

The efficiency of a high-pressure turbine can be affected by several factors, including the design of the turbine, the quality of the materials used, the operating conditions, and the maintenance of the turbine. Other factors such as inlet temperature, pressure, and the type of fuel used can also impact the efficiency.

4. How can the efficiency of a high-pressure turbine be improved?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a high-pressure turbine. These include using advanced materials and coatings to reduce losses due to friction and heat, optimizing the design and geometry of the turbine blades, and implementing advanced cooling techniques to reduce the impact of high temperatures. Regular maintenance and proper operation also play a crucial role in improving efficiency.

5. What are the benefits of a high-pressure turbine with high efficiency?

A high-efficiency high-pressure turbine can lead to significant benefits, including reduced fuel consumption, lower emissions, and increased power output. It can also result in longer engine life and lower operating costs. In industries such as aviation and power generation, high-efficiency turbines are essential for meeting performance and environmental standards.