High voltage spark and air compression

In summary: It is a mathematical law that states as the frequency of an alternating current is increased, the power delivered to an inductor or transformer decreases.
lortech
Honestly I do not think automotive techs would know the answer to this question so being said from a physics stand point about the relationship between the high voltage spark on a spark plug and compression in a engine. I have had experiances where there was spark on the plugs but the engine would not start. Classic example is the 1990s hondas. I have seen examples that if the spark is weak, a strong engine with high compression will prevent the spark from jumping across the plug. Or am I wrong? What role does compression play in inhibiting the spark from a spark plug to jump the gap?

I told the owner these HT coils have a weak dialectic insulation in its design. I told him because he never replaced the plugs, it loaded Coil with to much air gap resistance. The plugs had a excessive spark plug gap. The coil properly ohmed out on the primary and seconday and would fire out of the secondary of the coil using my hand to ground. The spark would not jump from the screwdriver to ground when inserted into the spark plug boot. Am I correct, that because the owner neglected to replace his plugs, The resistance leading from the top of the coil to the cathode on the plug was greater then the resistance in the coils secondary dialectric material that the spark blew a hole though it to ground?

Am I correct that the coils KV also increased substantially from the excessive spark plug gap?

Lastly, how is HT spark on a plug change with increase or decrease in compression?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that the voltage required to produce a spark across a spark plug gap increases nearly linearly with the compression ratio. The spark plugs need to be gapped correctly, and the insulators kept clean. Starting an engine in very cold weather is especially difficult because the battery voltage is reduced by the high starter current and battery resistance. Resistance in the wire from the coil to the spark plug is important to limit the spark current AFTER the spark has occurred. Too high a spark current erodes the spark plug gap excessively. Also keep the outside of the coil clean.

Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if there is a chart that would show what the KV at the plug should be with the compression of the engine? This would also be different with a turbo or a supercharger? I imagine with very high compressions, the spark would jump the gap, but would be very weak if it is the wrong ignition setup.

I suspect this would lead to high Hydrocarbons at the tail pipe.

Being a automotive tech is not enough today to repair today's cars. You also need some understanding in physics and chemistry to resolve the issues. I have repaired countless cars that dealers or other independents could not resolve. Now I just wish some of my customers would seriously create a auto repair budget.

BTW, I have built numerous electronic items from Doppler shift direction finders to Tesla coils. Anyone built a Tesla that responds to the strings of a electric guitar?

Lortech, have a look on wikipedia for paschens law.

1. What is high voltage spark and air compression?

High voltage spark and air compression is a scientific process that involves using electrical energy to create a spark or discharge in a confined space filled with air. This results in a rapid increase in air pressure, creating a shockwave that can be used for various purposes, such as igniting fuel in engines or producing sound waves in musical instruments.

2. How does high voltage spark and air compression work?

This process works by using a power source, such as a capacitor bank, to generate a high voltage electrical charge. This charge is then released into a chamber filled with air, creating a spark or discharge. The rapid heating of the air molecules causes them to expand and create a shockwave, which can be harnessed for different applications.

3. What are the applications of high voltage spark and air compression?

This process has various applications in different industries, such as in internal combustion engines, where it is used to ignite fuel and improve engine performance. It is also used in airbags for vehicles, musical instruments, and even in scientific research, such as in shock tubes for studying high-speed gas dynamics.

4. Is high voltage spark and air compression safe?

When performed by trained professionals and with proper safety precautions, high voltage spark and air compression is generally considered safe. However, it is essential to follow safety protocols and use proper protective gear when working with high voltages to avoid the risk of electrical shock.

5. What are the advantages of using high voltage spark and air compression?

This process offers several advantages, such as its ability to produce high temperatures and pressures in a short amount of time. It is also a relatively simple and cost-effective method compared to other high-pressure systems. Additionally, it can be easily controlled and adjusted for different applications, making it a versatile tool in various industries.