Higher derivative means function is higher?

In summary: Thanks for pointing it out!In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem that states if f(n) = g(n) and f'(x) >= g'(x) for each x > n, then for each x > n f(x) >= g(x). The conversation also mentions the need for f' and g' to exist and be differentiable and continuous. The mean value theorem is referenced as a proof for this property and it is noted that f' and g' only need to be locally integrable for the theorem to hold. A potential proof by contradiction is mentioned, but it is ultimately found to be incorrect. The mean value theorem is then suggested as the correct approach.
yairl
Hi,

Is there a theorem that says that if f(n) = g(n) and f'(x) >= g'(x) for each x > n, then it means that for each x>n f(x) >= g(x)? or is there a theorem that required more properties of g and f that implies so?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is implied that f' and g' exist...so clearly they must be differentiable...which implies continuity. If you don't have continuity then the condition that f(n) = g(n) doesn't matter, since f(n+1) could all of a sudden be less than g(n+1).

I think the general proof of this property calls in the mean value theorem, but it should be rather intuitive when you consider the definition of the derivative.

Do you consider continuously differentiable functions ##f, g : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}## such that for a certain ##n \in \mathbb{Z}## it holds that ##f(n) = g(n)## and ##f'(x) \ge g'(x)## for each ##x > n##?

If so, then of course for each ##x > n## it holds by the fundamental theorem of calculus that
$$
f(x) = f(n) + \int_n^x{f'(y)\,dy} \ge g(n) + \int_n^x{g'(y)\,dy} = g(x)
$$
Or did you have something else in mind?

In fact, you only need ##f'(x) \ge g'(x)## for a.e. ##x > n## and ##f'## and ##g'## locally integrable. Hence it suffices for ##f## and ##g## to be absolutely continuous on every interval. However, in this setting you must replace the Riemann integral by the Lebesgue integral.

Last edited:
Assuming that the function is continuous and differentiable at all x > n, it seems pretty simple to prove by contradiction. Assume that f(n) = g(n) and f'(x) ≥ g'(x) ∀(x > n) and further assume that ∃(a > n) such that f(a) < g(a). Then we have f(a) - g(a) < 0. Differentiating both sides, we get f'(a) - g'(a) < 0, or f'(a) < g'(a), which contradicts our initial assumption of f'(x) ≥ g'(x) ∀(x > n).

Caveat: I'm not a mathematician, so I might have missed something fundamental here.

Edit: I did miss something. Once you differentiate, you get f'(a) - g'(a) = 0, so the proof doesn't work.
Further edit: just disregard this entire post. See RUber's post below

Last edited:
TeethWhitener said:
Assuming that the function is continuous and differentiable at all x > n, it seems pretty simple to prove by contradiction. Assume that f(n) = g(n) and f'(x) ≥ g'(x) ∀(x > n) and further assume that ∃(a > n) such that f(a) < g(a). Then we have f(a) - g(a) < 0. .

I am with you up to here. The appropriate next step would be to use the mean value theorem, which states that for any continuous function f, with points f(n) and f(a), such that n<a, there exists a point b in [n,a] such that ##f'(b) =\frac{ f(a) - f(n) }{a - n} ##.

Differentiating both sides, we get f'(a) - g'(a) < 0, or f'(a) < g'(a), which contradicts our initial assumption of f'(x) ≥ g'(x) ∀(x > n).

Caveat: I'm not a mathematician, so I might have missed something fundamental here.
You cannot just pop a derivative onto a function and assume the relations will hold.

RUber said:
I am with you up to here. The appropriate next step would be to use the mean value theorem, which states that for any continuous function f, with points f(n) and f(a), such that n<a, there exists a point b in [n,a] such that ##f'(b) =\frac{ f(a) - f(n) }{a - n} ##.You cannot just pop a derivative onto a function and assume the relations will hold.

Yep, you're right. I screwed that one up.

1. What does it mean for a function to have higher derivatives?

Higher derivatives refer to the process of taking the derivative of a function multiple times. The first derivative gives the slope of the function, the second derivative gives the rate of change of the slope, and so on. Higher derivatives indicate the rate of change of the rate of change of the function.

2. How does the number of derivatives affect the behavior of a function?

The number of derivatives can affect the behavior of a function in several ways. For example, a function with a higher number of derivatives may exhibit more complex or oscillatory behavior. It can also provide more information about the function's curvature and rate of change at a given point.

3. Can a function have an infinite number of derivatives?

Yes, a function can have an infinite number of derivatives as long as it is continuous and differentiable. This is known as an infinitely differentiable function. Examples include polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

4. How are higher derivatives used in real-life applications?

Higher derivatives have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, they are used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and jerk (rate of change of acceleration). In engineering, they are used in control systems and signal processing. In economics, they are used in optimization problems and to model demand and supply curves.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating higher derivatives?

There are limitations to calculating higher derivatives, as it can become computationally expensive and prone to round-off errors. In some cases, it may also lead to undefined or infinite values. Additionally, the accuracy of higher derivatives may be affected by the smoothness and continuity of the function.