HIlbert-Polya conjecture ¿proof or RH?

• Thread starter eljose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjecture
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the Hilbert-Polya conjecture being true and its connection to the Riemann Hypothesis. The conjecture suggests the existence of an operator whose eigenvalues are the roots of the zeta function. However, the speakers also consider the possibility of finding other operators with similar properties and discuss their implications for proving the Riemann Hypothesis. Ultimately, it is suggested that the existence of the H-P operator may be a necessary but not sufficient condition for proving the Riemann Hypothesis.
eljose
My question is...could the Hilbert-Polya conjecture if true prove RH (Riemann Hypothesis) i mean let,s suppose we find an operator ( i found a Hamiltonian with a real potential that gave all the roots of [tex] \zeta(1/2+is) [/tex] ) in the form:

[tex] R=1/2+iH [/tex] with H self-adjoint so all the "eigenvalues" of R are precisely the roots of the Riemann zeta function... would if mean that Rh is true?..what would happened if we find another operator

[tex] R^{a}=a+iT [/tex] with T also self-adjoint and a different from 1/2 [/tex] ? or perhaps not so worse, an operator but this time T ISN,T self-adjoint so we are granted that all its eigenvalues wont, be real but...what would happen if T in spite of not being self-adjoint had a real root?..then the Riemann zeta function would have a real root in the form a+it with a and t real and a different from 1/2

so in what sense is the Hilbert-Polya hypothesis true and is the same as RH?..

Physics news on Phys.org
None of that makes any sense.

And, no you didn't find a Hamiltonian operator whose roots were those of the zeta function in the critical strip. If you had then you'd have proven the Riemann Hypothesis. As you've not managed to demonstrate you've done this would you mind not implying you had?

-i found a Hamiltonian..i still have the paper in .pdf if you want i can submit to you or to your teachers...i think we discussed enough about it at its time don,t you?...

-teh fact is that according to this H-P conjecture there should be exist an operator:

[tex] R=1/2+iH [/tex] with H=H+ (self-adjoint) that its eigenvalues are the roots of the zeta function.

but let,s suppose we managed to find these operators:

a) [tex] R=a+iT [/tex] T is self-adjoint and a is different from 1/2

b) [tex] R=a+iT* [/tex] T* is not self adjoint but has a real eigenvalue so

there would be a root of Zeta function in the form a+it.

-So perhpas H-P operator existence is a necessary but not sufficient condition to prove RH

Related to HIlbert-Polya conjecture ¿proof or RH?

1. What is the Hilbert-Polya conjecture?

The Hilbert-Polya conjecture is a mathematical conjecture that states that any entire function that takes only real values must be a polynomial function.

2. What is the connection between the Hilbert-Polya conjecture and the Riemann Hypothesis (RH)?

The Hilbert-Polya conjecture and the Riemann Hypothesis are closely related as they both deal with the distribution of zeros of certain types of functions. In fact, the proof of the Hilbert-Polya conjecture would also imply the proof of the Riemann Hypothesis.

3. Is there a proof for the Hilbert-Polya conjecture or the Riemann Hypothesis?

No, neither the Hilbert-Polya conjecture nor the Riemann Hypothesis has been proven yet. They both remain unsolved problems in mathematics.

4. Why is the Hilbert-Polya conjecture important in mathematics?

The Hilbert-Polya conjecture is important because it connects two important areas of mathematics - complex analysis and number theory. It also has applications in other fields such as physics and computer science.

5. What progress has been made towards proving the Hilbert-Polya conjecture or the Riemann Hypothesis?

Several mathematicians have attempted to prove the Hilbert-Polya conjecture and the Riemann Hypothesis, but so far, no one has been successful. Some partial results have been obtained, but the complete proof remains elusive.