Hodge operator on 4th rank tensor

• A
  • Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date
In summary: A) = -2A.In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the L, R acting Hodge dual, denoted by *, and its properties when acting on a p-form with a Lorentzian signature. The conversation also includes a proof of the identity ##(*^2 A) = -2A## using the properties of the Hodge dual and the antisymmetry of tensors.
binbagsss
I am reading a article that defines a L, R acting Hodge dual denoted by * as:

$$R^{*\alpha \mu \kappa \rho}=\epsilon^{\alpha \mu \nu \lambda}R_{\nu \lambda \kappa \rho},$$

contracting over the first two indices (and similar definition for #*^R^{\alpha \mu \kappa \rho} # contracting over the last two indices.

MAIN QUESTION
They have that #(*)^2=-1. # However I compute the following, can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks

$$R*_{ab}^{kp}=\epsilon_{ab\alpha\mu}R^{*\alpha \mu \kappa \rho}

=\epsilon_{ab \alpha \mu} \epsilon^{\alpha \mu \nu \lambda}R_{\nu \lambda \kappa \rho}$$$$=2 \delta^{a}_{\nu} \delta^b_{\lambda}-2\delta^b_{\nu}\delta^a_{\lambda}R_{\nu\lambda \kappa \rho}

=2 R_{ab\kappa \rho}-2_{ba\kappa \rho} = 4 R_{ab \kappa \rho} $$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When acting on a ##p##-form, and with a Lorentzian signature, ##*^2 = - (-1)^{p(n-p)}##. To show it use the identity ##\epsilon^{a \dots c \dots} \epsilon_{b \dots c \dots} = -p! (n-p)! \delta^{a}_{[b} \dots \delta^{\dots}_{\dots]}##. I think that's what you're trying to do in your working but it's so messy & so many typos I can't follow it.

Last edited:
ergospherical said:
When acting on a ##p##-form, and with a Lorentzian signature, ##*^2 = - (-1)^{p(n-p)}##. To show it use the identity ##\epsilon^{a \dots c \dots} \epsilon_{b \dots c \dots} = -p! (n-p)! \delta^{a \dots}_{[b \dots]}##. I think that's what you're trying to do in your working but it's so messy I can't follow it.
Yeh, apologies was just trying to edit the format now- need to familiarise myself with the phantom command for index spacing (just need some chicken first, too much running).

I don't have a background in differential forms, but I think a tensor can only be written as a p-form if it is antisymmetric- so here when you say 'p-form' this is referring to considering the first two indices and last two indices separately, I assume?

I have started with identity:

##\epsilon^{\alpha \mu \nu \lambda}\epsilon_{\beta \gamma \kappa \rho}=-4!\delta^{[\alpha_{\beta}\delta^{\mu}_{\gamma}\delta^{\nu}_{\kappa}\delta^{\lambda}]_{\rho}##And then it can be shown that for two contracted indices:

$$\epsilon^{\alpha \mu \nu \lambda} \epsilon_{\lambda \nu \kappa \rho}=2\delta^{\mu}_{\kappa}\delta^{\alpha}_{\rho}-2\delta^{\alpha}_{\kappa}\delta^{\mu}_{\rho} $$

You can Hodge over either pair of the Riemann indices. Since it's effectively a 2-form it might be easier to rename it e.g. ##R_{abcd} \equiv A_{ab}## for fixed ##c##, ##d##. Then\begin{align*}
{(*^2 A)}_{c_1 c_2} = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{c_1 c_2 a_1 a_2} {(*A)}^{a_1 a_2} = \frac{1}{4} \epsilon_{c_1 c_2 a_1 a_2} \epsilon^{a_1 a_2 b_1 b_2} A_{b_1 b_2}
\end{align*}Now use ##\epsilon_{c_1 c_2 a_1 a_2} \epsilon^{a_1 a_2 b_1 b_2} = -4 \delta^{b_1}_{[c_1} \dots \delta^{b_2}_{c_2]} = -4(\delta^{b_1}_{c_1} \delta^{b_2}_{c_2} - \delta^{b_1}_{c_2} \delta^{b_2}_{c_1})##

Likes binbagsss

1. What is the Hodge operator on a 4th rank tensor?

The Hodge operator on a 4th rank tensor is a mathematical operation that maps a 4th rank tensor to a 4th rank tensor. It is used in differential geometry and mathematical physics to define a metric on a manifold and to study the curvature of a space.

2. How is the Hodge operator applied to a 4th rank tensor?

The Hodge operator is applied to a 4th rank tensor by first taking the dual of the tensor, which results in a 3rd rank tensor. Then, the dual tensor is multiplied by the metric tensor, and finally, the result is multiplied by the Hodge star operator, which maps the 3rd rank tensor back to a 4th rank tensor.

3. What is the significance of the Hodge operator on a 4th rank tensor?

The Hodge operator on a 4th rank tensor is significant because it allows for the calculation of important geometric quantities, such as the volume form and the curvature of a space. It also plays a crucial role in various physical theories, including general relativity and electromagnetism.

4. Can the Hodge operator be applied to tensors of different ranks?

Yes, the Hodge operator can be applied to tensors of different ranks, including 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rank tensors. However, the Hodge operator on a 4th rank tensor is the most commonly studied and used in mathematical and scientific applications.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Hodge operator on 4th rank tensors?

Yes, the Hodge operator on 4th rank tensors has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used in the study of electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and general relativity, among others. It also has applications in computer graphics and image processing.