Homemade electromagnet, considerations - strength

In summary, the conversation is about creating a solenoid electromagnet for a demonstration and the speaker is seeking advice on how to improve the magnetic effect. They have already tried using a 9v DC battery with 100 turns of wire wrapped around a 4" bolt and ferrite rod, but the magnetic field is barely noticeable. They are wondering if adding more coils or increasing the voltage would help, and if the type of bolt and rod used matter. Another person suggests trying a 1.5v D cell battery with a C-shaped iron or steel former for better results and reducing the internal resistance of the battery. They also recommend measuring the resistance of the wire and monitoring the battery voltage when the coil is connected. It is mentioned
burntoastt
I'm making a solenoid electromagnet for gcse demonstration purposes and I'm trying to get a strong:muscle:, clear magnetic effect. I'v wrapped about 100 turns of enamel plated copper wire around a 4" bolt and also a 4" ferrite rod, and am applying 9v DC from a pp3 battery cell.
In both cases I got a barely noticeable magnetic field of attraction when tested with a compass, not satisfactory.

:flashlight:Any ideas on how i can most simply improve upon this? e.g Should i add more coils? If so how many? And should i increase the voltage?
Also does it matter if the bolt is galvanised?
The ferrite rod was from an old radio, is that ok? and is it better than an iron rod? e.g a bolt.

Physics news on Phys.org
These 9 volt batteries sometimes have an internal resistance that is quite high and might have severely limited the current. Suggestion is to try again with a 1.5 Volt D cell, and if you don't get the strong magnetic field, then it is back to the drawing board. ## \\ ## Additional note: the D cell has a rather low internal resistance, and the solenoid very nearly short circuits the D cell. If you don't add a small series resistance to the D cell, you may get very limited use out of the D cell before you drain it. ## \\ ## One way to test your bolt material for magnetic properties is to bring a permanent magnet up to it. If there is a strong attraction, the bolt should be a suitable material. ## \\ ## A google of the internal resistance of the 9 volt battery shows that it can be anywhere from 1 to 2 ohms (for alkaline) to 35 ohms for other types. One possibility is that the battery got drained significantly in the nearly short-circuited mode before you got the compass in place to check for magnetic field strength.

Last edited:
Likes burntoastt
burntoastt said:
:flashlight:Any ideas on how i can most simply improve upon this?
You are probably following the recommendation in a very basic magazine or book and you can do much better than you have done so far if you can improve on the set up.
Early magnets were horseshoe shaped - for a good reason. A C shaped iron or steel former will work much better because of the strong field between the poles. Cut up an old transformer if you want a good source of iron in the right shape.
Charles Link said:
These 9 volt batteries sometimes have an internal resistance that is quite high
Agree. You need low volts and plenty of current capacity such as you get from one or two C or D cells in series. Get a good battery holder with clean contacts and solder joints or well screwed down terminals. Anything to reduce the series resistance. You haven't mentioned the gauge of the wire but probably the more the better unless it's pretty thin (i.e. significant coil Resistance ).
If you have access to a Multimeter then you could measure the resistance and also see how much the battery volts dip when the coil is connected.
PS A ferrite rod won't give you much joy. They use ferrite because it works at high frequency and not because of its high permeability.

Likes burntoastt and Charles Link
sophiecentaur said:
You are probably following the recommendation in a very basic magazine or book and you can do much better than you have done so far if you can improve on the set up.
Early magnets were horseshoe shaped - for a good reason. A C shaped iron or steel former will work much better because of the strong field between the poles. Cut up an old transformer if you want a good source of iron in the right shape.

Agree. You need low volts and plenty of current capacity such as you get from one or two C or D cells in series. Get a good battery holder with clean contacts and solder joints or well screwed down terminals. Anything to reduce the series resistance. You haven't mentioned the gauge of the wire but probably the more the better unless it's pretty thin (i.e. significant coil Resistance ).
If you have access to a Multimeter then you could measure the resistance and also see how much the battery volts dip when the coil is connected.
PS A ferrite rod won't give you much joy. They use ferrite because it works at high frequency and not because of its high permeability.
Charles Link said:
These 9 volt batteries sometimes have an internal resistance that is quite high and might have severely limited the current. Suggestion is to try again with a 1.5 Volt D cell, and if you don't get the strong magnetic field, then it is back to the drawing board. ## \\ ## Additional note: the D cell has a rather low internal resistance, and the solenoid very nearly short circuits the D cell. If you don't add a small series resistance to the D cell, you may get very limited use out of the D cell before you drain it. ## \\ ## One way to test your bolt material for magnetic properties is to bring a permanent magnet up to it. If there is a strong attraction, the bolt should be a suitable material. ## \\ ## A google of the internal resistance of the 9 volt battery shows that it can be anywhere from 1 to 2 ohms (for alkaline) to 35 ohms for other types. One possibility is that the battery got drained significantly in the nearly short-circuited mode before you got the compass in place to check for magnetic field strength.
Thanks for these suggestions! ill change the setup shortly, and let you know how it went! Btw, can the coils overlap or does this effect the magnetic field?

burntoastt said:
Thanks for these suggestions! ill change the setup shortly, and let you know how it went! Btw, can the coils overlap or does this effect the magnetic field?
You can have many layers of wire. This would be essential if you want enough turns for a usefully strong electromagnet.

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
thank you, I appreciate the suggestions! i look forward to trying them out, is increasing the amount of coils a good idea?

Likes Charles Link
For the coils i am using enamel coated copper wire, with a thickness of 0.35mm.

1. How can I increase the strength of my homemade electromagnet?

To increase the strength of your homemade electromagnet, you can use a more powerful power source, increase the number of coils in the wire, or use a core material with high magnetic permeability such as iron or cobalt.

2. Is there a limit to the strength of a homemade electromagnet?

Yes, there is a limit to the strength of a homemade electromagnet. The strength of an electromagnet is directly proportional to the current flowing through the wire and the number of coils. However, if the current is too high, it can cause the wire to overheat and potentially damage the circuit.

3. Can I use any type of wire for my homemade electromagnet?

No, not all types of wire are suitable for making an electromagnet. You will need to use a wire with a high electrical conductivity, such as copper or aluminum, to allow for efficient flow of electricity and create a strong magnetic field.

4. How do I determine the appropriate size and shape for my homemade electromagnet?

The size and shape of your homemade electromagnet will depend on its intended use. A larger surface area of the core and more tightly wound coils will increase the strength of the magnetic field, but may also require a stronger power source. It is important to consider the balance between size, power consumption, and desired strength for your specific application.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with a homemade electromagnet?

Yes, there are some safety considerations when working with a homemade electromagnet. Be sure to use caution when handling strong magnets as they can attract metal objects and pinch fingers or cause other injuries. It is also important to use a power source that is appropriate for the size and strength of your electromagnet to avoid overheating and potential hazards.