Horsepower in relation to cfm, engine displacement, and a few others

In summary, the web-calculator calculated theoretical horsepower based on values entered of CFM (amount of air flow), atmospheric pressure based on a barometer reading, and CID, or displacement of the engine and the number of cylinders. My problem is that I can't for the life of me figure out the relation between those variables.
x2percentmilk
Hey everyone, this is my first post.

A short while ago I came across web-calculator that calculated some theoretical horsepower based on values you entered. The values were CFM (amount of air flow) atmospheric pressure based on a barometer reading (you could choose either inches mercury or water) the CID, or displacement of the engine and the number of cylinders.

You put those in, and it popped out horsepower and theoretical peak RPM.

My problem is I can't for the life of me figure out the relation between those variables. All of the equations I have found take something like the VE and the compression ratio of the engine, some other random values, and actually do not include CFM at all (which doesn't help me)

Ive tried only varying only one value at a time and making some tables/graphs in excel, but I end up just getting overwhelmed and confused.

Any thoughts?
thanks

Science news on Phys.org
welcome to the world of IC...I found the best source to satisfy my thirst for knowledge about the Internal Combustion Engine is the book...Elements of Internal-Combustion Engines by A.R. Rogowski, S.M. published by McGraw-Hill Book Company..it was printed in 1953
hey..it is old but printed same year as I was born...covers EVERYTHING..Gas laws, forms of energy Air cylce, fuel air approximations, engine vaiables on flame speed, engine friction, detonation, air capacity...everything but the smog junk we have to add now..parasitic waste of energy..IMHO...until big something , is invented or introduced to the consumer public, we will be fossil fuel dependant for the next 50 years because nothing, repeat NOTHING has come along that is economical enough to replace fossil fuel, that is acceptable to the world market place...i been thru this drill in 1972..first oil embargo..was still in college..everyo ne was going to go GREEN..the IC was presummed dead...the only thing that happened was the death of big cube engines..Hemi, 455 Olds, 460 cube Ford...

until a new power source happens, the IC will be king..maybe diesel a close second like it is in Europe but ..for the next generation..still is the IC.

Thank you very much for the reply and the information! I'll definetily be looking into that book. Thanks again.

Related to Horsepower in relation to cfm, engine displacement, and a few others

What is horsepower and how does it relate to cfm?

Horsepower is a unit of measurement for power, specifically the amount of work an engine can do in a certain amount of time. CFM stands for cubic feet per minute and measures the rate of air flow. In an engine, horsepower and cfm are related because the more air an engine can take in and compress, the more power it can produce, resulting in a higher horsepower rating.

How does engine displacement affect horsepower?

Engine displacement is the volume of space that the pistons in an engine can move through. Generally, a larger engine displacement means a higher horsepower rating. This is because a larger displacement allows for more air and fuel to be burned, resulting in more power being produced.

Is there a direct relationship between horsepower and engine size?

While engine size can be a factor in determining horsepower, it is not the only factor. Other factors, such as the design and efficiency of the engine, can also affect horsepower. Additionally, different types of engines (such as diesel vs gasoline) can have different horsepower ratings even with the same engine size.

Can horsepower be increased by increasing the cfm?

In most cases, increasing the cfm alone will not necessarily increase horsepower. Other factors, such as the engine's design and tuning, also play a role in determining horsepower. However, ensuring that the engine is receiving enough air through proper intake and exhaust systems can help improve overall performance and potentially increase horsepower.

How does horsepower relate to torque?

Horsepower and torque are both measurements of an engine's power, but they measure different aspects. Horsepower is a measure of how quickly an engine can do work, while torque is a measure of the twisting force an engine can produce. Generally, a higher horsepower rating will result in a higher torque output, but the relationship between the two can vary depending on the engine's design and other factors.