How calculate the total energy of a collision?

In summary, Shreyas is trying to determine the total energy of a collision between two cubes. He knows that the total kinetic energy is the sum of the angular velocity energy and the linear velocity energy, but he is unsure about how to calculate the energy from angular velocity. He thinks that it might be easier to model spheres instead. Serg
Lucas Borsatto
Hello guys,

I am developing a physics system that simulates collision between two cubes. I need to calculate the total energy in those cubes in an instant before the collision. I know that the total kinetic energy in this case is the sum of the angular velocity energy and the linear velocity energy:

E = 1/2 * m * v² + 1/2 * I * w²

My question is, in the energy from angular velocity, "I" is the module of the components (Ix, Iy, Iz) of the inertia, right? Or I need to do some cross product before?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i think do this is more helpful
calculate energy about com and energy of com wrt ground

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia

Colliding cubes is tough. To get it accurately in 3-D you would need to work out the exact collision of the cubes. To get that you will need to know the relative velocities, angular velocities, and masses.Then you have to work out what it does to the linear and angular momentum.

As Shreyas suggests, the centre of momentum frame will get you a good start. In that frame you have each cube with linear momentum of equal magnitude, but exactly opposite direction. After the collision they are still "back to back" w.r.t. linear momentum.

But doing the angular part of the collision is tough. For example, a grazing collision could convert a lot of linear momentum to angular, or the other way around. If the two cubes were originally spinning very quickly then they could transfer a lot of this to linear momentum if they caught just right.

Maybe as a start you could model spheres? That will get you some experience.

I read about angular and linear momentum, but I think that it could be simpler. I think that with spheres it would be easier too, but I am working in a project that needs of this collision between two cubes.

I am using a physics library that does this job very well, and it already calculates velocities, positions, inertias of the things. It works around the time a cycle takes to complete, so its movements are all relatives.
But in some moments the collision calculate a wrong result, doing the cubes collide with an object and then it get a large angular velocity.
I think that a energy of the system (always between two rigid bodies) could not be greater than this initial value. This energy could be calculated only with the equation that I mentioned above, right? Or I will really need to work with linear and angular momentum?

I have to rectify about what I have said, the speed will be w*d where d is the distance of any point to the axis of rotation, not to the center of the cube.

Sorry for that.

Thanks USeptim, I will try it.

Related to How calculate the total energy of a collision?

1. How do you calculate the total energy of a collision?

The total energy of a collision is calculated by adding together the kinetic energy, potential energy, and any other forms of energy involved in the collision. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In a closed system, the total energy before and after the collision should be equal.

2. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy in a collision?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy in a collision is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity. This formula can be used for both objects involved in the collision, and the total kinetic energy of the system can be calculated by adding the kinetic energies of each object together.

3. How do you calculate potential energy in a collision?

Potential energy in a collision can be calculated using the formula PE = m * g * h, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. This formula is used for objects that have potential energy due to their position or height above the ground.

4. What is the relationship between mass and energy in a collision?

The relationship between mass and energy in a collision is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This equation states that energy (E) is equal to the mass (m) of an object multiplied by the speed of light squared (c^2). This means that even a small amount of mass can contain a large amount of energy, which is why collisions can have such high levels of energy.

5. How do you take into account other forms of energy in a collision?

In addition to kinetic and potential energy, other forms of energy such as thermal energy, sound energy, and electromagnetic energy may also be involved in a collision. These forms of energy can be calculated and added to the total energy of the collision using their respective formulas. For example, thermal energy can be calculated using the formula Q = m * c * ΔT, where Q is thermal energy, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.