How can e^{Diag Matrix} not be an infinite series?

In summary, the concept of using Eigenvectors to solve Differential Equations involves the substitution of y = e^{\lambda t} and solving for constant coefficients. The resulting solution can be written as e^{At} \vec{u}(0) = \vec{u}(t), where e^{At} is an infinite series. This series can be simplified to a single matrix with e^{\lambda_i t} on its diagonal, which can be achieved by multiplying the diagonal matrix by itself. Overall, this approach works because for a diagonal matrix D, D^n = \mathrm{diag}(d_1^n, d_2^n, \dots d_N^n).
kostoglotov
So, in a section on applying Eigenvectors to Differential Equations (what a jump in the learning curve), I've encountered

[tex]e^{At} \vec{u}(0) = \vec{u}(t)[/tex]

as a solution to certain differential equations, if we are considering the trial substitution [itex]y = e^{\lambda t}[/itex] and solving for constant coefficients. I understand the idea more or less, but the math gets quite involved, particularly with complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

I can see how (or at least I can follow and accept the explanation for) [itex]e^{At}[/itex] being an infinite series.

But how does [itex]e^{\Lambda t} = [/itex] a single matrix with [itex]e^{\lambda_i t}[/itex] on it's diagonal?

Physics news on Phys.org
If we write the series expansion of the exponential, we get

## e^{\Lambda t} = \mathbf{1} + \Lambda t + \frac{1}{2}t^2 \Lambda^2 + \cdots ##,

where ## \mathbf{1} ## is the identity matrix. Now ## \Lambda ## is a diagonal matrix, so the result of multiplying it by itself is simple, e.g., ## \Lambda^2 = diag(\lambda_1^2, ..., \lambda_n^2)##. Therefore,

## e^{\Lambda t} = \mathbf{1} + diag(\lambda_1, ...,\lambda_n) t + \frac{1}{2}t^2 diag(\lambda_1^2,...,\lambda_n^2) + \cdots ##.

If you write this out in matrix form, summing to form a single matrix, you will see that each entry in the resulting diagonal is an infinite series that itself equals ## e^{t \lambda_j } ## for the ## jj ## matrix entry.

Likes kostoglotov and DrClaude
It works because for ##D = \mathrm{diag}(d_1, d_2, \dots d_N)##, ##D^n = \mathrm{diag}(d_1^n, d_2^n, \dots d_N^n)##.

Looks like Geofleur beat me to it :smile:

1. How is it possible for e^{Diag Matrix} not to be an infinite series?

The exponential function, e^{x}, can be expanded into an infinite series using the Taylor series. However, when applied to a diagonal matrix, the exponential function only uses the diagonal elements and ignores the off-diagonal elements. This allows the series to be truncated and not be infinite.

2. Why does e^{Diag Matrix} only use the diagonal elements?

When calculating the exponential function of a diagonal matrix, the off-diagonal elements do not contribute to the final value. This is because the off-diagonal elements do not have any impact on the exponential function's calculation, making it unnecessary to include them in the series.

3. What is the significance of using a diagonal matrix in the exponential function?

A diagonal matrix only has non-zero elements on the main diagonal, making it easier to calculate the exponential function. By using a diagonal matrix, the infinite series can be truncated, making the calculation more efficient and less complex.

4. How does e^{Diag Matrix} differ from e^{Matrix}?

The main difference between e^{Diag Matrix} and e^{Matrix} is that e^{Diag Matrix} only uses the diagonal elements, while e^{Matrix} uses all the elements in the matrix. This means that e^{Matrix} will result in an infinite series, while e^{Diag Matrix} can be truncated and not be infinite.

5. Can e^{Diag Matrix} still be used as an approximation for e^{Matrix}?

Yes, e^{Diag Matrix} can still be used as an approximation for e^{Matrix}. While it may not be an exact calculation, it can be a good estimate and provide a simpler solution. Additionally, when the off-diagonal elements are small or negligible, e^{Diag Matrix} can be a very accurate approximation of e^{Matrix}.