How can I accurately model a digital control valve without physical testing?

In summary, the digital control valve is a little bit different than a normal control valve. The working concept is that the valve will close if the NO and NC solenoids are not energized. The flow rate and pressure drop vs position can be modeled by using the catalogued performance map. I would be surprised if Daniel did not have flow test data for their valves so you might try contacting them."
shubham nerkar
hi,
i want to derive a model of digital control valve. i don't have physical valve with me. still i have to develop such a simulator which can behave the same as the digital control valve.
the working concept of digital control valve is little bit different than normal control valve.
here is the working of the valve
http://www2.emersonprocess.com/siteadmincenter/PM Daniel Documents/788DVControlValve-DS.pdf

can any1 help me out how to do it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What, exactly, about the valve are you trying to model? Flow rate and pressure drop vs position? Can't you just use the catalogued performance map as your model?

the main value is controlled by the 2 solenoid valves N.O and N.C. which actually uses either high pressure or low pressure available across the valve. so i want a mathematical model for the behavior of valve. if the NO and NC are not energized the valve will close. suppose initially valve is full open, so if i made it to close in how much time and how much distance will the piston covers and finally the flow rate profile .

As someone involved in the design, engineering and testing of modulating ASME Section 8 Pressure Vessel Code PRV's (Pressure Relief Valves) I can tell you that due to the complex flow path in both right angle and angle body valves the only way to get an accurate flow vs. lift profile for a given valve configuration is by flow testing. Even in the case of a given valve configuration the flow vs lift profile will vary for different sizes of that configuration.

I developed a series of simulation programs such as you desire for our product lines and all of those have programs have required equations based upon curve fitting of actual flow test results for each valve configuration and size combination to accurately reflect the true action of the valves.

At the same time, I would be surprised if Daniel has not done this type of testing in the development of their valves so you might try contacting them to see if they have the data you require.

As a general question, why you are concerned about the flow vs. lift profile on this control valve. The unit is designed to be self actuated to control its flow rate based upon the selected controlling parameter(s), i.e, discharge backpressure or other customer chosen input.

1. What is the purpose of modeling a control valve?

The purpose of modeling a control valve is to simulate its behavior and performance in a given system. This allows for the prediction of how the valve will respond to changes in input parameters, and helps in optimizing its design for the desired control performance.

2. What are the main components of a control valve model?

The main components of a control valve model include the valve body, actuator, positioner, and sensing elements such as pressure and flow sensors. The model also includes the control algorithm that determines the valve's response to input signals.

3. What types of control valve models are commonly used?

The two main types of control valve models are lumped parameter models and distributed parameter models. Lumped parameter models simplify the valve components into a single entity with a set of parameters, while distributed parameter models consider the dynamics of individual components.

4. How are control valve models validated?

Control valve models are validated by comparing their predicted performance to actual field data. This can involve running simulations with different input parameters and comparing the results to measurements from the real valve in operation.

5. What factors should be considered when modeling a control valve?

When modeling a control valve, factors such as valve size, fluid properties, operating conditions, and control requirements should be considered. The model should also account for the effects of external disturbances and interactions with other components in the system.