How can I balance an equation with odd numbers of certain elements?

• Thread starter FTCC.student
  • Start date
In summary, the person in Gen Chem 1 is having trouble balancing equations with odd numbers of certain elements. They have attempted to balance the equation C2H6 + O2 → CO2 + H2O but have struggled with the uneven numbers of Oxygen and Hydrogen. They have tried balancing for 6 Oxygen on both sides and 12 Oxygen on both sides, but still struggle with the Hydrogen balance. They are seeking help before their test on Tuesday.
FTCC.student
I know this is elementary stuff, but I'm in Gen Chem 1 and this is the only thing I am having trouble with. I am fine balancing most equations, but when there are odd numbers of certain elements I get sort of confused. For example:

C2H6 + O2 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] CO2 + H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried several times, but the closest I could get was:

2C2H6 + 5O2 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2CO2 + 6H2O

It is the Oxygen andHydrogen being uneven that is screwing me up. Right away I realize I have 3 Oxygen on the right and 2 on the left, so the first thing I tried to do was make both sides have 6 oxygen...

C2H6 + 3O2 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] CO2 + 4H2O

But then that leaves me with 8 Hydrogen on the right, and only 6 on the left...I can't think of any ways to get that 6 to equal 8! Then I tried for 12 Oxygen on both sides instead of 6...then my problem is still Hydrogen.

So maybe y'all see what I'm confused about...like I said, this is the only thing I am having trouble with so far in Gen Chem is balancing this specific type of equation, and we have our first test on Tuesday! So hopefully someone can help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with 1 molecule of C2H6. It is obvious we will produce two CO2 and three H2O:

C2H6 + xO2 → 2CO2 + 3H2O

Can you find x? It will be a fraction now - but you can multiply everything by some small integer to get rid of the denominator...

It would be 3[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex], yes? So I should then multiply by a small integer to get rid of denom, multiply all by 2? Does that include the 3.5?

Yes, multiply 3.5 as well.

I completely understand your frustration with balancing equations. It may seem like a simple task, but it requires careful attention to detail and practice to master. In this particular equation, the key is to first balance the carbon and hydrogen atoms, and then balance the oxygen atoms.

To start, let's look at the carbon atoms. On the left side, we have 2 carbon atoms from the C2H6 molecule. On the right side, we have 1 carbon atom from the CO2 molecule. To balance these, we need to add a coefficient of 2 in front of the CO2 molecule, giving us 2CO2. Now we have 2 carbon atoms on both sides.

Next, let's look at the hydrogen atoms. On the left side, we have 6 hydrogen atoms from the C2H6 molecule. On the right side, we have 2 hydrogen atoms from the H2O molecule and 4 hydrogen atoms from the 2CO2 molecules (2 x 2 = 4). To balance these, we need to add a coefficient of 3 in front of the H2O molecule, giving us 3H2O. Now we have 6 hydrogen atoms on both sides.

Finally, let's look at the oxygen atoms. On the left side, we have 6 oxygen atoms from the O2 molecule. On the right side, we have 2 oxygen atoms from the H2O molecule and 4 oxygen atoms from the 2CO2 molecules (2 x 2 = 4). To balance these, we need to add a coefficient of 3 in front of the O2 molecule, giving us 3O2. Now we have 6 oxygen atoms on both sides.

The final balanced equation is:

C2H6 + 3O2 → 2CO2 + 3H2O

Remember, balancing equations takes practice and patience. Keep working at it and you will get the hang of it. Good luck on your test!

1. How do I know when an equation is balanced?

An equation is considered balanced when the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of the same element on the product side.

2. What is the purpose of balancing equations?

Balancing equations is important because it shows the conservation of mass and atoms in a chemical reaction. It also allows for accurate calculations of reactants and products.

3. What are the steps to balancing an equation?

The steps to balancing an equation include:

• Identify the reactants and products
  • Count the number of atoms for each element on both sides
  • Balance the elements one at a time by adding coefficients
  • Check that the equation is balanced by counting the number of atoms for each element again

4. Can I change the subscripts in an equation to balance it?

No, subscripts cannot be changed in an equation as they represent the number of atoms of each element in a compound. Only coefficients can be changed to balance an equation.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for balancing equations?

There are no shortcuts or tricks for balancing equations, it requires practice and understanding of basic chemistry principles. However, there are some strategies that can make it easier, such as starting with the most complex molecules and balancing elements that appear only once on each side first.