How can I connect a PIC 18f4520 micro-controller to Wi-Fi for home automation?

• Thread starter chandramauli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the person is working on a project involving wi-fi based home automation using a PIC 18f4520 micro-controller. They are seeking assistance in connecting the controller module to wi-fi and determining the appropriate module and type of communication needed. After some research, it appears that the chosen PIC may not be suitable, but Microchip offers an embedded Wi-Fi solution that is compatible with a PIC32.
chandramauli
hello every one. I a doing project of wi-fi based home automation using PIC 18f4520 micro-controller.
I need help to connect controller module to wi-fi. So i need help how can i connect it and which module can i used and which type of communication will be performed to do so.

Thanks in advance.please reply asap.

Engineering news on Phys.org
With only doing some cursory research, I think the PIC you chose might not be able to handle it. However, Microchip offers an embedded Wi-Fi solution that's compatible with a PIC32. Check this link out here:

http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/technology/wifi/products/home.html

Likes Danger and berkeman

1. What is an embedded project?

An embedded project is a project that involves designing and implementing a computer system that is built into a larger device or machine. This computer system, also known as an embedded system, is responsible for controlling and managing the device's functions and operations.

2. What are some common examples of embedded projects?

Some common examples of embedded projects include smart home devices, medical equipment, automotive systems, and industrial control systems. These projects typically involve the integration of hardware and software to perform specific functions within the larger device or machine.

3. What are the key components of an embedded project?

The key components of an embedded project include a microcontroller or microprocessor, which serves as the brain of the system, various sensors and actuators for input and output, and a power supply. Other components may include memory, communication interfaces, and user interfaces.

4. What skills are required for working on an embedded project?

Working on an embedded project requires a combination of hardware and software skills. Some essential skills include knowledge of programming languages such as C and assembly, experience with microcontrollers and electronics, and an understanding of circuit design and debugging techniques.

5. What are some challenges that may arise when working on an embedded project?

Some common challenges when working on an embedded project include hardware and software integration issues, debugging complex systems, and meeting tight deadlines. Additionally, working with limited resources and dealing with unexpected changes in project requirements can also be challenging.