How can I correctly perform Fourier inversion of function S(q) to get G(r)?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with performing Fourier inversion of an equation, specifically equation 7.46. They mention using Wolfram Alpha and finding a result that is similar to what they calculated, but with a difference in the denominator. They are unsure of where they went wrong and are seeking clarification.
enrikofermi
Hi all.
I have to do Fourer inversion of an equation 7.46 but I don't know how to do that.
If anybody has any idea it wolud be very helpfull.
Inversion of S(q) is G(r).

Attachments

• IMG1004.jpg
    IMG1004.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 332
Physics news on Phys.org
No. I'm learning some physics and need to calculate this to get next step, but i can't. :/

Did you try Wolfram Alpha?

I can't see the whole problem, plus it is sideways.

No, didn't. That is whole problem, to do Fourier inverse of 7.46. Sorry because it is sideways. :/

I have used Wolfram Alpha and got (almost) same result as I calculated earlier. (See pic) But in my book I have r instead of k in denominator. And that result in the book is fundamental! It must be correct. Where have Wolfram and me failed?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    81 KB · Views: 343

1. What is Fourier inversion of function?

Fourier inversion of function is a mathematical procedure used to reconstruct a function in the time or spatial domain from its corresponding Fourier transform in the frequency domain. It is based on the inverse Fourier transform formula, which converts a function from the frequency domain back to the time or spatial domain.

2. Why is Fourier inversion of function important?

Fourier inversion of function is important because it allows us to analyze and understand complex signals or functions by breaking them down into simpler components in the frequency domain. It is an essential tool in many fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics.

3. What is the difference between Fourier transform and Fourier inversion of function?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function from the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain. Fourier inversion of function, on the other hand, is the reverse process that converts a function from the frequency domain back to the time or spatial domain.

4. What are some applications of Fourier inversion of function?

Fourier inversion of function has numerous applications, including signal and image processing, data compression, noise reduction, spectral analysis, and solving differential equations. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

5. Is Fourier inversion of function always possible?

No, Fourier inversion of function is not always possible for every function. It is only possible if the function satisfies certain conditions, such as being integrable and having a bounded Fourier transform. In some cases, an approximate inverse Fourier transform can be computed instead.