How can I customize my spellcheck for specialized terminology in Botany?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses issues with the spellchecker not recognizing specialized words in the field of Botany and how to create a list of these words to prevent them from being marked as incorrect. The conversation also mentions trouble with spell-checking in Chrome and how it can possibly be resolved through adjusting settings.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
The spellchecker barfs on "stolons". Botany has a huge number of words, almost as bad as Medical terminology. Since I post answers to Botany questions, how can I get the editor to stop marking spelling wrong for specialty words local to a discipline?

So can I create my very own list of words?

Physics news on Phys.org
jim mcnamara said:
The spellchecker barfs on "stolons". Botany has a huge number of words, almost as bad as Medical terminology. Since I post answers to Botany questions, how can I get the editor to stop marking spelling wrong for specialty words local to a discipline?

So can I create my very own list of words?
The spellchecker is a browser function. Sometimes you can right click and add the word to the browser dictionary.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The spellchecker is a browser function.
I use Chrome. After the upgrade, it no longer does spell-checking for me. Do you know how to get it back?

russ_watters said:
I use Chrome. After the upgrade, it no longer does spell-checking for me. Do you know how to get it back?
Hmm I have the latest chrome and it shows up. Might be a setting.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Hmm I have the latest chrome and it shows up. Might be a setting.
It was indeed, thanks. Odd that it seemed to have happened about the time of the software change and I can't imagine why I would have switched-it off.

1. How does Spellcheck while posting work?

Spellcheck while posting uses algorithms and databases of words to automatically check the spelling of words while someone is typing. It compares words to a list of correctly spelled words and suggests corrections if necessary.

2. Can Spellcheck while posting be customized for different languages?

Yes, spellcheck while posting can be customized for different languages. Most word processing programs and online platforms have the option to change the language setting for spellcheck.

3. How accurate is Spellcheck while posting?

The accuracy of spellcheck while posting depends on the quality of the database of words it is using. Most spellcheck programs have a high accuracy rate, but it is always possible for errors to occur.

4. Can Spellcheck while posting be turned off?

Yes, spellcheck while posting can be turned off in most programs and platforms. This allows users to have more control over their writing and may be useful for those using uncommon or specialized vocabulary.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using Spellcheck while posting?

One potential drawback is that spellcheck may not catch all errors, such as incorrect homophones or grammar mistakes. It is important for users to proofread their writing in addition to using spellcheck. Additionally, spellcheck may not be able to recognize specialized or technical vocabulary, so it is important to add these words to the program's dictionary.