How can I develop ln(x) into a series for x >= 1 in fluid dynamics?

• MHB
  • Thread starter fluid_mechanics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses developing $\mathrm{ln}(x)$ into series for a non-dimensional coordinate in the area of fluid dynamics. Two existing series for $\mathrm{ln}(x)$ are mentioned, one for $|x-1| \leq 1 \land x \neq 0$ and one for $|x| \leq 1 \land x \neq -1$. The speaker mentions needing to fulfill the condition $x \geq 1$ and suggests subtracting the series for $\mathrm{ln}(1-x)$ from the series for $\mathrm{ln}(1+x)$ to obtain a series for $\mathrm{ln} \left( \frac{1+x}{1-x
fluid_mechanics
I need to develop $\mathrm{ln}(x)$ into series, where $x \geq 1$, and I don`t know how? In literature I only found series of $\mathrm{ln}(x)$, where:

1. $|x-1| \leq 1 \land x \neq 0$, $ \,\,\,\,\, \mathrm{ln}(x) = x - 1 - \dfrac{(x-1)^2}{2} + ...$ 2. $|x| \leq 1 \land x \neq -1$, $ \,\,\,\,\, \mathrm{ln}(x+1) = x - \dfrac{x^2}{2}+ ...$

My problem is problem in area of fluid dynamics, and $x$ is non-dimensional coordinate and it signifies radial coordinate of annular tube (it starts in the center of the tube). At the wall of inner tube $x=1$, and at the wall of outer tube it only can be larger (and values are not limited), because of that I need to fulfill a condition $x \geq 1$, for developing $\mathrm{ln}(x)$ into series.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write series for \(\displaystyle \ln (1+x)\) and \(\displaystyle \ln (1-x)\). Then subtract second from the first one and you'll obtain the series for \(\displaystyle \ln \left( \frac{1+x}{1-x} \right) \), which gives you one possible series.

1. What is the purpose of developing ln(x) into a series for x >= 1 in fluid dynamics?

The purpose of developing ln(x) into a series for x >= 1 in fluid dynamics is to have a mathematical representation of the natural logarithm function for values of x greater than or equal to 1. This allows for easier calculations and analysis of fluid dynamics problems that involve the natural logarithm function.

2. How is ln(x) developed into a series for x >= 1 in fluid dynamics?

Ln(x) can be developed into a series for x >= 1 in fluid dynamics using the Taylor series expansion. This involves expanding the function into an infinite sum of terms, with each term representing a higher order derivative of the function evaluated at a specific point. By including a sufficient number of terms, the series can approximate the function to a desired degree of accuracy.

3. What are the benefits of using a series representation of ln(x) in fluid dynamics?

Using a series representation of ln(x) in fluid dynamics allows for a more precise and efficient way of solving problems that involve the natural logarithm function. It also allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the function, as well as the ability to approximate the function to a desired degree of accuracy by including more terms in the series.

4. Are there any limitations to using a series representation of ln(x) in fluid dynamics?

One limitation of using a series representation of ln(x) in fluid dynamics is that it can only be used for values of x greater than or equal to 1. This means that it cannot be used for negative or non-real values of x. Additionally, the accuracy of the series representation may decrease as the number of terms included in the series increases.

5. How is the series representation of ln(x) used in practical applications of fluid dynamics?

The series representation of ln(x) is used in practical applications of fluid dynamics to solve problems involving the natural logarithm function. This can include calculating fluid flow rates, analyzing pressure gradients, and determining the behavior of fluids in various systems. It is an important tool for scientists and engineers in understanding and predicting fluid dynamics phenomena.