How can i draw scientific figures for my papers?

In summary, you would need software like Photoshop, 3dmax, maya, etc. to generate graphs like the one in the attached image.
matinking
Hi everyone!

I need to draw a bunch of figures for my papers but i don't know how to use professional software like photoshop, 3dmax, maya, ...of course as you know, the figures must be pretty and accurate. i need to one which is powerful but simple to use

does anyone has any suggestion for me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are going to need a bit more specific...

With the title of scientific figures on papers...because of my own background, I thought of scientific/engineering papers to be submitted to, say, IEEE or mathematics/physics conferences and that typically include plots, graphs, etc...and so, I was thinking of resouces like
Latex
matplotlib
dislin
plplot
etc.

that produce publication quality graphs.

But then, when you mentioned programs like photoshop and maya, it threw me off...

What kind of "figures" you are talking about?
plots on x-y cartesian planes?
3D virtual reality scenes?
or what...
do you have a sample figure you can upload to show what kind you are talking about?

Other software you may look into it are:

Blender
Mayavi
Gimp
Inkscape
Paraview
VisIt
VTK

etc.

Of course i can!
I mean some kind of the scientific figures which are accurate in details like attached image.
but about your suggestions... i am for example familiar with Inkscape but i did not find it so effective to generate high quality figures like attached one... furthermore I should confess that i have not required artistic talent to design them...!

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-S0921889011000777-gr1.sml.gif
    1-s2.0-S0921889011000777-gr1.sml.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 738
or the other example could be...

Attachments

• qqq.jpg
    qqq.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 615
Looks like you need some kind of 3D modeler; to start, take a look at Wikipedia and go down to where they list commercial and free software.

The problem is always with the "powerful but simple to use" part...necessarily, as things get more capable, they get more features, etc...so the learning curve seems to keep growing.

I wonder if the free version of SketchUp would be enough for you; take a look at the gallery.

Then, there is Blender; I have heard good things about it, powerful, scriptable, etc...except for an awkward interface?.

Now, if you need something more CAD-like, like in your second picture that include a 3D along a 2D sketch, you need to look into CAD programs...one I have been looking at lately is the up and coming FreeCAD...but that's just because I like free software...if you have money to pay for supported software, you can look into commercial packages, etc.

thank you very much for your impeccable explanations...!

Related to How can i draw scientific figures for my papers?

1. How can I create accurate and professional scientific figures for my papers?

To create accurate and professional scientific figures for your papers, you should first start by choosing the appropriate software or tool for creating your figures. This can include programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, or even Microsoft Excel. Next, make sure to carefully label and annotate your figures, including important details such as axis labels, units, and scale bars. Lastly, always double check your figures for accuracy and consistency with your data before including them in your paper.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating scientific figures?

One common mistake to avoid when creating scientific figures is using low-quality or pixelated images. This can make your figures appear unprofessional and can also affect the clarity of your data. Another mistake to avoid is including unnecessary elements or visual clutter in your figures, which can make them difficult to interpret and distract from the main message of your paper.

3. Can I use images or figures from other sources in my scientific papers?

Yes, you can use images or figures from other sources in your scientific papers, but it is important to properly cite and credit the original source. This can include obtaining permission from the original author or publisher, and clearly stating the source of the image or figure in your paper.

4. How can I make my scientific figures visually appealing?

To make your scientific figures visually appealing, you can use a combination of colors, fonts, and design elements that are visually appealing and easy to understand. Additionally, you can use graphs, charts, and other visual aids to present your data in a clear and engaging way. However, remember to always prioritize accuracy and clarity over aesthetics when creating figures for your scientific papers.

5. Are there any resources or tutorials available to help me create scientific figures?

Yes, there are many resources and tutorials available to help you create scientific figures. You can search online for tutorials specific to the software or tool you are using, or consult with your colleagues or supervisor for tips and guidance. Additionally, many journals and publishing companies offer guidelines and resources for creating figures that meet their specific standards and requirements.