How can I prevent my glass pool fence from slipping?

In summary, the person's pool fence is slipping and they are looking for ideas on how to fix it. The person has attached a photo of the pool fence and the five clamps that hold the glass. Each clamp has three screws and one Allen key. The problem is that the glass keeps slipping. The person is wondering if the rubber/glass combination creates too much slip. There are some possible solutions suggested, including thicker rubber blocks, tighter clamps, bigger clamps, using something to attach to the posts instead of the clips, and checking the screws on the clamps. The person is also wondering if any of the people who have come to look at it have worked in the commercial world.
bitsnpieces
Hello I am a newbie to this site.

Please help with my pool fence as three different tradesmen have just shrugged their shoulders!

I have attached a photo.

As you can see, it is frameless glass. It is safety glass 10mm thick and is held by clamps that work with tension only (no screw through clamp and this can not be done post production).

Each clamp is stainless steel with 3mm of black rubber on inside against glass. The clamp is tighten with an allen key with screws on one side only.

My problem is that 2 out of these five sheets of glass continually slip about 1-2 inches. I have had the sheets swapped around in an attempt to get more glass in the clamps - as the first tradesmen said that 'there wasn't enough glass inside the clamp for a true grip'.

The next tradie said the glass is too heavy for clamps and 'siliconed' the clamps - but only worked for a short while.

The third tradie said the only option was the lift and retighten clamps on a regular basis. I asked him to check the screws and he said they looked fine.

I am just wondering if the rubber/glass combination creates too much slip? Perhaps there some easy substance or method I could use to create more traction?

I would love any help you can offer as this has really been a pain.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 565
Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of material is actually touching the glass? How thick is it?

This is just a brute force job, you near MOAR GRIP! Bigger pads, more clamping force.

It may be a case of getting thicker rubber blocks or tightening the clamps further, or using bigger clamps (bigger clamps will allow higher forces to be used without increasing the pressure on the glass which could lead to cracking). Maybe getting a different pad matieral with a higher coefficient of friction with glass. Or sticking an intermediate layer between the rubber and the glass. Something that can be bonded to the glass, but with a rough surface that will allow the rubber blocks to grip.

Can you take a close up photo of the clamp?

A better design would be to have something attached to the posts (i.e. screwed or bolted on, so it can't slip down) which the bottom of the glass rests on. Then the clips don't have to support the weiight of the glass, just stop it falling over sideways.

You should be able to find some plastic blocks of the right size (intended for joining the corners of the panels in kitchen units and suchlike) in a DIY store.

If you do that, leave the clips almost loose, so nothing breaks because of thermal expansion, the posts moving around a bit as the water content of the ground changes, etc.

Hmm... Have any of the folks that have come to look at it worked in the commercial world? You see these types of installations in retail places quite often, so perhaps they would know the "common" solution.

And I second xxChrisxx's request for a close up photo of the clamp, but i think i know what it's going to look like. I also agree that if you could bond (epoxy?) something more with more friction to the glass, maybe that would help. Like if you could epoxy a thin piece of rubber to the glass perhaps (like a tire patch?)...

Maybe another option is, as Chris said, bigger surface touching the glass. If you could fit something larger in between the clamp and the glass, almost the same way you would use a piece of wood with a c-clamp so you don't have such a small area applying the pressure. Also, how old is the installation? Perhaps the rubber has hardened a bit and isn't as "grippy" ?

Related to How can I prevent my glass pool fence from slipping?

1. How does a slipping glass pool fence work?

A slipping glass pool fence is a type of pool fence made of glass panels that are held in place by metal or plastic pins and spigots. The panels are slightly offset from each other to allow for movement and flexibility, which prevents them from breaking or shattering under pressure. The pins and spigots also allow the panels to slightly slide or slip against each other, giving the fence its name.

2. What are the benefits of using a slipping glass pool fence?

One of the main benefits of a slipping glass pool fence is its aesthetic appeal. The transparent and modern design of the fence allows for unobstructed views of the pool and surrounding area. Additionally, the flexibility of the fence makes it a safer option for children and pets, as there are no sharp edges or gaps for them to squeeze through.

3. Is a slipping glass pool fence durable?

Yes, a slipping glass pool fence is very durable. The glass panels used are tempered and can withstand high winds, extreme temperatures, and impacts from objects. The pins and spigots used to hold the panels in place are also made of sturdy materials such as stainless steel or aluminum, making the fence resistant to rust and corrosion.

4. How do you maintain a slipping glass pool fence?

To maintain a slipping glass pool fence, regular cleaning is recommended using mild soap and water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the glass panels. It is also important to check the pins and spigots periodically to ensure they are secure and functioning properly.

5. Can a slipping glass pool fence be installed on uneven ground?

Yes, a slipping glass pool fence can be installed on uneven ground. The flexible design of the fence allows for slight adjustments to be made to accommodate different terrain. However, it is important to consult with a professional installer to ensure the fence is installed correctly and securely.