How Can I Prove These Vector Calculus Relations?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the derivative of a differentiable curve can be expressed as a fraction. The participants provide hints and corrections to Dhamnekar's attempt, and Dhamnekar ultimately reaches the correct solution. The conversation also touches on defining unit vectors and the concept of orthonormal vectors in relation to a curve.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
Hi,
Let f(t) be a differentiable curve such that $f(t)\not= 0$ for all t. How to show that $\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{f(t)}{||f(t)||}\right)=\frac{f(t)\times(f'(t)\times f(t))}{||f(t)||^3}\tag{1}$

My attempt:
$\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{1}{||f(t)||}\right)*f(t)+\frac{1}{||f(t)||}*\frac{d}{dt}(f(t))$

$\frac{||f(t)||}{f'(t)\cdot f(t)}*f(t) +\frac{1}{||f(t)||}*\frac{d}{dt}(f(t))$

I want to know whether my last step is correct or wrong.If wrong , how and where to go from here to get R.H.S.of (1)? If yes how to proceed further to get R.H.S.of (1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dhamnekar,

You have a nice idea in your attempt. There is an error in the first term on your second line. You either need to apply the quotient rule to $1/\|f(t)\|$ or the chain rule to $(\|f(t)\|)^{-1}.$ Whichever method you choose, you will see that you get something similar to, but different from, what you have now.

I know you can do this, so I want to keep my hints to a minimum, at least initially. Of course, if you have more questions, I'm more than happy to help.

GJA said:
Hi Dhamnekar,

You have a nice idea in your attempt. There is an error in the first term on your second line. You either need to apply the quotient rule to $1/\|f(t)\|$ or the chain rule to $(\|f(t)\|)^{-1}.$ Whichever method you choose, you will see that you get something similar to, but different from, what you have now.

I know you can do this, so I want to keep my hints to a minimum, at least initially. Of course, if you have more questions, I'm more than happy to help.

Hi GJA,

If I have understood your reply correctly, then the last step in the original question is $-\frac{f(t)}{||f(t)||^2}+\frac{f'(t)}{||f(t)||}$. Now where to go from here to get R.H.S of (1)?

Hi,
I got the answer. :)

Continuing this exercise, assume that f'(t) and f''(t) are not parallel. Then $T'(t)\not=0$ so we can define unit principal normal vector N by
$$N(t)=\frac{T'(t)}{||T'(t)||}$$

Now how to show that $$N(t)=\frac{f'(t)\times (f''(t)\times f'(t))}{||f'(t)||*(||f''(t)\times f'(t)||)}$$

Continuing this execise we can define unit binormal vector B $$B(t)=T(t)\times N(t)$$ where $$T(t)=\frac{f'(t)}{||f'(t)||}$$. Note: We have already defined T'(t).
Now how to show that $$B(t)=\frac{f'(t)\times f''(t)}{||f'(t)\times f''(t)||}$$
I want to continue this exercise with one more question related to this question. How does the vectors T(t), N(t), B(t)form a right-handed system of mutually perpendicular unit vectors (called orthonormal vectors) at each point on the curve f(t)? In the answer to this question, I want to clear explanation about Osculating plane, Normal plane and Rectifying plane.:)

Last edited:
Dhamnekar Winod said:
Continuing this exercise, assume that f'(t) and f''(t) are not parallel. Then $T'(t)\not=0$ so we can define unit principal normal vector N by
$$N(t)=\frac{T'(t)}{||T'(t)||}$$

Now how to show that $$N(t)=\frac{f'(t)\times (f''(t)\times f'(t))}{||f'(t)||*(||f''(t)\times f'(t)||)}$$

Continuing this execise we can define unit binormal vector B $$B(t)=T(t)\times N(t)$$ where $$T(t)=\frac{f'(t)}{||f'(t)||}$$. Note: We have already defined T'(t).
Now how to show that $$B(t)=\frac{f'(t)\times f''(t)}{||f'(t)\times f''(t)||}$$
I want to continue this exercise with one more question related to this question. How does the vectors T(t), N(t), B(t)form a right-handed system of mutually perpendicular unit vectors (called orthonormal vectors) at each point on the curve f(t)? In the answer to this question, I want to clear explanation about Osculating plane, Normal plane and Rectifying plane.:)
This post #6 requires to be deleted under this original thread "Vector calculus question".

Last edited:

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives, such as gradients, curls, and divergences. It is used to analyze and solve problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What are some real-world applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has many applications in various fields, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. It is used to study the flow of fluids, the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and the creation of 3D models and animations.

3. What are the basic operations in vector calculus?

The basic operations in vector calculus include vector addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, dot product, cross product, and differentiation and integration of vector functions. These operations are used to manipulate and analyze vector quantities and their derivatives.

4. How is vector calculus different from regular calculus?

Regular calculus deals with scalar quantities, while vector calculus deals with vector quantities. In regular calculus, we study the behavior of single-variable functions, while in vector calculus, we study the behavior of vector-valued functions. Vector calculus also involves operations such as cross product and divergence, which are not present in regular calculus.

5. What are some helpful resources for learning vector calculus?

Some helpful resources for learning vector calculus include textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. There are also many practice problems and exercises available online to help improve understanding and problem-solving skills. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.