How can I solve this problem about factorization in the IB math SL book?

In summary, a problem found in the IB math SL book deals with finding the value of x in a right-angled triangle with given lengths of sides. The answer section states that x can be either 2/5 or 3. After trying and getting a different result, the person realizes their mistake and asks for help in finding the error. They are reminded of forum rules and given a hint to check their length formulas. Later, it is discovered that the error was made in squaring 4x+1 and the correct equation is 10x^2 -34x +12=0. The conversation ends with the person thanking for the help and stating that there is no need for further responses.
richardz03
Originally posted in a technical math section
It is a problem found on IB math SL book:The two perpendicular sides of a right-angled triangle have lengths x+2 and 5x-3, the hypotenuse has length 4x+1, Find X.

In the answer section, it says X is either 2/5 or 3.

I tried a lot, -> i arrived to 10x^2 - 18x -12= 0
Later i used quadractic formula and imy result is totally different to the answers given by the book,. My process should be wrong. I would like to see someone do the complete process so i can notice my error. Please! Currently studying for IB exam

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
richardz03 said:
It is a problem found on IB math SL book:The two perpendicular sides of a right-angled triangle have lengths x+2 and 5x-3, the hypotenuse has length 4x+1, Find X.

I get the same answers.
richardz03 said:
Check your arithmetic. Your 2nd and 3rd terms are wrong.
richardz03 said:
Later i used quadractic formula and imy result is totally different to the answers given by the book,. My process should be wrong. I would like to see someone do the complete process so i can notice my error. Please! Currently studying for IB exam
No, we aren't going to work the problem for you -- that is against forum rules. Show the work you did to get your equation, and we'll point out where you went wrong, and steer you in the right direction.

Likes richardz03
richardz03 said:

Later i used quadratic formula and my result is totally different to the answers given by the book,. My process should be wrong. I would like to see someone do the complete process so i can notice my error. Please! Currently studying for IB exam
It looks like you made a mistake in getting that quadratic equation.

Try your answers and the book's answers in the given length formulas.

Likes richardz03
Mark44 said:
I get the same answers.
Check your arithmetic. Your 2nd and 3rd terms are wrong.

No, we aren't going to work the problem for you -- that is against forum rules. Show the work you did to get your equation, and we'll point out where you went wrong, and steer you in the right direction.

Didnt know that! thanks. At least you showed me the error. I will try again then

Hmm looks like i got error in doing (4x+1)^2 and did wrong in operation. thanks everyone. No need to respond this thread anymore. It was 10x^2 -34x +12=0

What is factorization?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a number or expression into smaller numbers or factors that, when multiplied together, give the original number or expression. It is often used in mathematics to simplify equations and solve problems.

Why is factorization important?

Factorization is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify complex equations and expressions, making them easier to understand and work with. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as cryptography and coding theory.

What are the methods for factorization?

The most common methods for factorization include trial and error, the use of prime factorization, and the use of algebraic techniques such as the difference of squares or completing the square.

What is the difference between prime and composite numbers?

Prime numbers are numbers that can only be divided by 1 and itself, while composite numbers are numbers that have more than two factors. Prime numbers are important in factorization because they cannot be factored any further, while composite numbers can be broken down into smaller factors.

How can factorization be used to solve problems?

Factorization can be used to solve a variety of problems in mathematics, such as finding the greatest common factor, simplifying fractions, and solving quadratic equations. It is also used in real-world applications, such as finding the prime factors of large numbers for cryptography purposes.