How can I use 2D airfoil data for calculations in my RC helicopter project?

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to build a RC helicopter and the study of helicopter aerodynamics to achieve this goal. The speaker is unsure of how to use 2 dimensional airfoil data for calculations using the blade element theory and is seeking advice and help. A suggestion is made to gain practical experience by purchasing a kit or pre-made model before attempting to design one's own.
Tsheten Dorjee
Hi everybody,
I am a native of Bhutan and have been always contemplating on building a RC helicopter for myself. In this regard,I have studied helicopter aerodynamics and want to swing into action.
The momentum theory seems a bit easy to comprehend and perform calculations there. But I'm unsure of how to use 2 dimensional airfoil data for performing calculations using the blade element theory.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Tsheten Dorjee

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tsheten Dorjee said:
Hi everybody,
I am a native of Bhutan and have been always contemplating on building a RC helicopter for myself. In this regard,I have studied helicopter aerodynamics and want to swing into action.
The momentum theory seems a bit easy to comprehend and perform calculations there. But I'm unsure of how to use 2 dimensional airfoil data for performing calculations using the blade element theory.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Tsheten Dorjee
If I were doing this, I would buy a kit or a pre-made one and play around w/ it to get practical experience before trying to design my own. Just a suggestion.

1. How do I choose the right parts for my RC helicopter project?

Choosing the right parts for your RC helicopter project depends on a variety of factors, such as the size and weight of the helicopter, the desired flying capabilities, and your budget. It's important to do thorough research and consult with experienced hobbyists before making any purchases.

2. What tools and equipment do I need to build an RC helicopter?

Some essential tools and equipment for building an RC helicopter include a soldering iron, wire cutters, pliers, screwdrivers, and a multimeter. You may also need specialized tools depending on the type of helicopter you are building.

3. How do I troubleshoot problems with my RC helicopter?

If you encounter issues with your RC helicopter, the first step is to check the battery and ensure it is fully charged. Next, check all connections and make sure they are secure. If the problem persists, consult the instruction manual or seek help from experienced RC hobbyists.

4. Can I use a remote control from another RC vehicle for my helicopter?

In most cases, it is not recommended to use a remote control from another RC vehicle for your helicopter. Each vehicle and remote control have unique frequencies and protocols that may not be compatible with each other. It is best to use a remote control specifically designed for your RC helicopter.

5. How can I improve the flight performance of my RC helicopter?

To improve the flight performance of your RC helicopter, you can upgrade certain components such as the motor, battery, and blades. It's also important to regularly maintain and tune your helicopter to ensure it is in optimal condition for flying.

Back