How can I use all the data to solve this integral calculus problem?

In summary, The problem is a difficult one and involves the use of the Dawson integral function. The solution given by the professor involves using all the given data and integrating the function using substitution and integration by parts. The final answer is 21 minus half of e to the power of 9.
wonglk9090
Deleted

None

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What class is this for, where did the problem come from. A text or written by prof?

That is just Cal 1 class in college level...I guess it is written by my professor.
Is that too difficult??lol

This is plain impossible. The solution can be expressed in terms of the error function if it was negative x squared (which is not elementary):

$$\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{erf}(3)\sqrt{\pi}}{2}$$

But since it is positive, we need to use the Dawson integral function. The answer then becomes

$$\displaystyle e^9\mathrm{Di}(3)$$

where Di denotes the Dawson integral.

Last edited:
I suggest you reread the problem and then, possibly, ask your teacher if there has not been a typo. If the function were [itex]xe^{x^2}[/itex], this would be easy- and . But the function [itex]e^{x^2}[/itex] cannot be integrated in terms of elementary functions.

Your professor is sneaky, you really must make use of all the data:

[tex] \int f(x) dx=x f(x)-\int f'(x)xdx=xf(x)-\int e^{x^2}(\frac{x^2}{2})'dx=xf(x)-\frac{1}{2} \int (e^{x^2})' dx=xf(x)-\frac{e^{x^2}}{2}+c[/tex]

Now, since this is a definite integral:

[tex]\int_0^3 f(x) dx=3f(3)-\frac{e^{3^2}}{2}-0f(0)+\frac{e^{0^2}}{2}=21-\frac{e^{3^2}}{2}+\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Related to How can I use all the data to solve this integral calculus problem?

What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the calculation of areas under curves, volumes of solids, and other quantities that can be expressed as the accumulation of infinitesimal quantities.

What is the purpose of solving integral calculus problems?

The purpose of solving integral calculus problems is to find the exact value of the quantity being calculated, which may not be possible using other methods. The solutions to these problems also have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the two types of integrals?

The two types of integrals are definite and indefinite integrals. A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a single numerical value as the solution. An indefinite integral has no limits and represents a family of functions that differ by a constant.

What are the fundamental principles of integral calculus?

The fundamental principles of integral calculus include the concept of a Riemann sum, which approximates the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles. The definite integral is then defined as the limit of these Riemann sums as the width of the rectangles approaches zero. The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral can also be calculated by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the limits of integration.

How can I improve my skills in solving integral calculus problems?

To improve your skills in solving integral calculus problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of the basic principles and techniques involved, such as integration by substitution and integration by parts. It is also helpful to practice solving a variety of problems and seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials. Working through problems step by step and seeking help from a tutor or classmate when needed can also aid in improving your skills.