How Can I Verify My High Velocity Impact Test Results?

In summary, the conversation discusses a High Velocity Impact testing using a gas gun and the questions that arise during the testing process. The main concerns are how to determine if the test is running well without any reflection, how to calculate the time required for the event and compare it with the experimental time captured by video cameras, and how to determine the direction of the stress wave (compression or tension). The information/data available includes the modulus and density of the material, as well as the input energy and velocity of the steel ball used in the test. The conversation also mentions some equations and the thickness of the composite specimen. The person is asking for help in solving these questions and requests a clear description of the overall goal and specific problems needing assistance.
Jack Lu
Hi all,

I am doing a High Velocity Impact testing using a gas gun

I have to figure out
a) is my test running well and I am not getting any reflection?

Please correct me or help in calculating if I am wrong at any point. I guess, I can figure out by calculating the time required for the event and compare this with the experimental time caputured by the video cammeras, to see, is it insignifican or not?? Also do I need to calculte the time of wave to go there the sample and return, my sample is 4.7mm thick?

b) If I get fracture on the outside of the surface, does this give any information about stress wave??

c)How do I know if the stress wave is going in compression ?

d) How do I know if the stress wave is going in tension? What information/data I have at this point;

I know Modulus=E=150Gpa, Density=p=157kg/m3 of my material

I know the input energy given to the steel ball for the test is 12J and velcoity was captured 90m/sec , and time is 2.8micro second for the impact event as gas gun was used with a steel ball to impact the composite specimen.

so the velocity of sound in steel is (from literature not measured) = 17000ft/sec or 5135m/sec

I have worked out few relations and I guess these would fit well to workout further (you can varify these relations if feel doubt)

speed of sound c is given by the Newton–Laplace equation=c= square root(modulus/density)
elastic stress=density x c(is the above speed) x velocity of the impact i.e (90m/sec)

and i guess time can be worked out as; time=distance/speed here distance is the thickness of the composite specimen=4.7mm or 0.0047m and speed I guess will be used "c" from above relation.

Please reply me if you have any clue to solve the above metioned question? or If you need to know anything furher, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post a clear description of what you are actually trying to do and what specific problems you need help with .

1. What is high velocity impact testing?

High velocity impact testing is a scientific method used to measure the resistance of a material to sudden and high-speed impacts. It involves launching a projectile at high speeds towards a target material and analyzing the resulting damage or deformation.

2. What types of materials are commonly tested using high velocity impact testing?

High velocity impact testing can be performed on a wide range of materials, including metals, composites, ceramics, and polymers. It is particularly useful for evaluating the impact resistance of materials used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and defense.

3. How is high velocity impact testing different from other impact testing methods?

High velocity impact testing differs from other impact testing methods, such as drop weight or pendulum impact testing, in that it involves much higher velocities and shorter durations of impact. This allows for a more accurate representation of real-world impact scenarios, such as those experienced in high-speed collisions or explosions.

4. What are some common parameters used in high velocity impact testing?

Some common parameters used in high velocity impact testing include the impact velocity, projectile mass, and target material properties. The angle of impact, projectile shape, and temperature can also be controlled to simulate different impact scenarios and provide more detailed data.

5. What are the applications of high velocity impact testing?

High velocity impact testing is used in a variety of industries for product development and quality control. It can be used to assess the performance of materials and structures, evaluate the effectiveness of protective gear and armor, and improve the safety of transportation systems. It is also commonly used in research and development to study the behavior of materials under extreme loading conditions.