How Can Spearman's Rank and PMCC Differ in Graphs?

• Thread starter Big-Daddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stats
In summary, PMCC (Pearson's product-moment correlation coefficient) is a statistical measure used to evaluate the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two continuous variables. It is calculated by finding the covariance between the variables and dividing it by the product of their standard deviations. PMCC is commonly used in various research fields to assess the relationship between variables, but it has limitations such as only measuring linear relationships and not indicating causation. The value of PMCC can range from -1 to 1, with 0 indicating no correlation and values closer to 1 or -1 indicating a stronger correlation. The direction of the correlation (positive or negative) indicates the relationship between the two variables.
Big-Daddy
Edit: I had no idea what I was doing when I posted this here, sorry! Could someone move it to the Maths help forum?

I have a few basic stats questions which I'd appreciate if someone could help me answer. These are conceptual really.

a) Often I'm asked to come up with a graph which has a Spearman's Rank coefficient of 1 but a PMCC which is not 1. For such a case, would it be acceptable to use an exponential-type curve (just sketching, talking about the shape) - as it wouldn't fit a straight line (so PMCC is not 1) but if you move to a higher x-value you will still always get a higher y-value? If Spearman's rank has to be -1 but the PMCC not quite -1, can I use a downward sloping graph of increasing negative gradient?

b) What does a graph with Spearman's Rank≠1 but PMCC≈1 look like? (If such a graph exists)

b) My syllabus says "understand that the value of a correlation coefficient is unaffected by linear transformations (coding) of the variables". Does this mean that if you translate the scatter points, it will not affect either the PMCC or Spearman's rank? ("Coding" is confusing me.) And any other transformation besides translation will affect both PMCC and Spearman's Rank (e.g. stretch in either axis) ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can definitely help you with your questions. To start, Spearman's Rank coefficient and Pearson's correlation coefficient (PMCC) are both measures of the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. Spearman's Rank coefficient is based on the ranks of the data, while PMCC is based on the actual values of the data. So, a Spearman's Rank coefficient of 1 means that there is a perfect monotonic relationship between the two variables, while a PMCC of 1 means that there is a perfect linear relationship.

a) In the case where Spearman's Rank coefficient is 1 but PMCC is not 1, it is acceptable to use a non-linear curve to represent the relationship. This is because Spearman's Rank is not affected by the shape of the curve, only the order of the data points. So, as long as the curve follows a consistent pattern of increasing or decreasing values, the Spearman's Rank will still be 1. However, the PMCC will not be 1 because it is based on the linear relationship between the variables.

b) A graph with Spearman's Rank≠1 but PMCC≈1 is possible and would indicate a strong linear relationship, but not a perfect one. This could happen if there are a few outliers in the data that are affecting the overall correlation. In this case, the Spearman's Rank would be slightly lower than 1 due to the ranks being affected by the outliers, but the PMCC would still be close to 1 because the majority of the data points still follow a linear pattern.

c) The statement "the value of a correlation coefficient is unaffected by linear transformations (coding) of the variables" means that if you change the units or scale of the variables, the correlation coefficient will not change. For example, if you were measuring the relationship between height and weight, and you changed the units from inches and pounds to centimeters and kilograms, the correlation coefficient would not change. However, this only applies to linear transformations. If you were to apply a non-linear transformation, such as taking the square root of one of the variables, the correlation coefficient would be affected.

I hope this helps clarify your questions. Let me know if you need any further clarification or have any other questions. And don't worry about posting in the wrong forum, I'll make sure to move this to the Math help forum for you.

Related to How Can Spearman's Rank and PMCC Differ in Graphs?

What is PMCC?

PMCC stands for Pearson's product-moment correlation coefficient. It is a statistical measure that evaluates the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two continuous variables.

How is PMCC calculated?

The formula for PMCC involves finding the covariance between two variables and dividing it by the product of their standard deviations. This results in a value between -1 and 1, with 0 indicating no correlation and values closer to 1 or -1 indicating a stronger correlation.

What is the purpose of using PMCC in statistics?

PMCC is commonly used to assess the relationship between two variables and determine if there is a linear correlation between them. It is used in various fields of research, such as psychology, economics, and biology, to understand the strength and direction of the relationship between variables.

What are some limitations of using PMCC?

PMCC can only measure linear relationships between variables, so it may not capture non-linear relationships. It also does not indicate causation, only correlation. Additionally, PMCC may be affected by outliers in the data, so it is important to check for them before interpreting the results.

How do you interpret the value of PMCC?

A value of 0 indicates no correlation, a positive value close to 1 indicates a strong positive correlation, and a negative value close to -1 indicates a strong negative correlation. The closer the value is to 0, the weaker the correlation. The direction of the correlation (positive or negative) indicates the relationship between the two variables.