How can we conclude from that that I is a principal ideal?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for an ideal $I$ of a commutative ring $R$ with unit to be a free $R$-module. It is stated that $I$ is a free $R$-module if and only if it is a principal ideal generated by an element $a$ that is not a zero-divisor in $R$. The conversation also explores the implications of $I$ being a free ideal, and whether or not the element $a$ is a zero-divisor. For the other direction, it is discussed how a principal ideal generated by a non-zero-divisor element $a$ implies $I$ is a free $R$-module.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $R$ be a commutative ring with unit.
I want to show that if $I$ is an ideal of $R$ then $I$ is a free $R$-module iff it is a principal ideal that is generated by an element $a$ that is not a zero-divisor in $R$.

Suppose that $I$ is an ideal of $R$ and it is a free $R$-module.
Then it has a basis, i.e., a generating set consisting of linearly independent elements.
How can we conclude from that that $I$ is a principal ideal? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that $I$ is a free ideal, so it has a basis, i.e., a generating set consisting of linearly independent elements. Suppose that $I$ is not a principal domain.
Does this mean that the basis has more than one element? (Wondering)
Suppose that it has two elements in the basis, say $x_1,x_2$.
Then $I=\{r_1x_1+r_2x_2\}$.
Do we take $r_1=x_2$ and $r_2=−x_1$ ? (Wondering)
Then we would have $x_2x_1−x_1x_2=0$. But since the set is linearly independent, and $x_1,x_2$ are non-zero, we have a contradiction.
Therefore, it is generated by one element $a$. Can we say also that $a$ is not a zero-divisor in $R$ ? (Wondering)
Is this correct? (Wondering)

For the other direction, suppose that $I$ is a principal ideal, that is generated by an element $a$ that is not a zero-divisor in $R$.
How could we conclude that $I$ is a free $R$-module? (Wondering)

Related to How can we conclude from that that I is a principal ideal?

1. What is a principal ideal?

A principal ideal in mathematics refers to an ideal in a ring that is generated by a single element. In other words, every element in the ideal can be written as a multiple of this single generator.

2. How can we determine if an ideal is principal?

There are a few ways to determine if an ideal is principal. One method is to check if all elements in the ideal can be written as multiples of a single generator. Another method is to check if the ideal is generated by a single polynomial in a polynomial ring.

3. What is the significance of principal ideals?

Principal ideals play an important role in abstract algebra, particularly in the study of rings and modules. They allow for simpler and more concise representations of ideals, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them.

4. Can every ideal be a principal ideal?

No, not every ideal can be a principal ideal. This is because some ideals may require multiple generators to represent all of its elements, rather than just one. For example, the ideal (x,y) in the ring of polynomials over two variables cannot be generated by a single polynomial.

5. How does knowing that an ideal is principal help us draw conclusions?

Knowing that an ideal is principal allows us to use specific techniques and properties that are unique to principal ideals, making it easier to analyze and solve problems. It also allows for a more efficient and concise representation of the ideal, which can aid in understanding and drawing conclusions.