How can we consider a complex number as two separate real numbers for in X and Y plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of complex numbers and how they can be viewed as two separate real numbers. The analogy of prime factorization is used to explain this concept. The conversation also mentions a helpful article on the topic.
Leo Authersh
How is it possible to ignore the addition sign and imaginary number without contradicting fundamental Mathematics?

I find it difficult to understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes BvU
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi,
We don't ignore anything. Don't contradict anything either.
Leo Authersh said:
X2 + Y2 = (X + iY)/(X + iY)
is not correct. Where did you get this ?

Likes Leo Authersh
How can we consider a complex number as two separate real numbers for in X and Y plane?
It is just a different way to represent the numbers.
By giving the real and imaginary part of a complex number you can uniquely identify this number.

An analogy in the positive integers: You can write every number by its prime factorization.
You can write 2*3*5 or "2,3,5" instead of 30. Same thing, just written in a different way, and there is a 1:1 relation between numbers and their prime factorization.

Likes Leo Authersh
BvU said:
Hi,
We don't ignore anything. Don't contradict anything either.
is not correct. Where did you get this ?
True that. I have edited it. But my question is correct and after thinking about it, I have found the answer myself. I just find it hard to put into words the exact thing in my mind. That's why the question is incomprehensible. But I think fresh_42 has understood my question.

Thank you for the answer BvU :)

Likes BvU

Related to How can we consider a complex number as two separate real numbers for in X and Y plane?

1. What is the definition of a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with the imaginary unit i = √(-1).

2. How can a complex number be represented in a Cartesian coordinate system?

A complex number can be represented in a Cartesian coordinate system by considering the real part as the x-coordinate and the imaginary part as the y-coordinate. This allows us to visualize the complex number as a point on a 2-dimensional plane.

3. Why do we need to represent complex numbers in the x and y plane?

Representing complex numbers in the x and y plane allows us to perform mathematical operations on them, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also helps us to visualize and understand the properties of complex numbers.

4. How does representing a complex number in the x and y plane help us understand its magnitude and direction?

The magnitude of a complex number is represented by the distance from the origin to the point on the x and y plane. The direction of the complex number is represented by the angle formed between the positive x-axis and the line connecting the origin to the complex number.

5. Can a complex number be represented in any other coordinate system?

Yes, a complex number can also be represented in a polar coordinate system, where the magnitude is represented by the distance from the origin and the direction is represented by the angle formed with the positive x-axis. However, representing complex numbers in the x and y plane is more commonly used for calculations and visualizations.